Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 09:39 AM

oven scones

my oven scones never seem to turn out right...they taste good but they seem to spread out, never rise much, I follow the recipe, use sr flour and baking powder, I ve tried placing them next to each other ,cos I read somewhere that they will rise and not spread out if I do that. however I bake them they never look like the pictures in the recipes, they are 3cm high when I put them in the oven. what am I doing wrong.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 09:57 AM

Re: oven scones

Do you use fizzy lemonade soft drink in the mix?..apparently that's the real secret
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 01:50 PM

never heard of that...but I'll give it a try...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:56 PM

Hello Paula I make all kinds of scones including savoury ones with cheese and chives.
I don't have any trouble with them rising in fact I like cheese scones not to be too tall because I like a good layer of crispy cheese topping.

The secret of good scones for me, have the mixture really moist, touch it as little as possible, don't roll it out to thin, don't twist the cutter.
Also I use a small pot of natural yoghurt mixed in with the milk, it make the scones really light and fluffy. I used to use buttermilk but don't make butter these days and it isn't that easy to buy.

Cheese and chive scones I like them quite flat...
[
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hello Paula I make all kinds of scones including savoury ones with cheese and chives.
I don't have any trouble with them rising in fact I like cheese scones not to be too tall because I like a good layer of crispy cheese topping.

The secret of good scones for me, have the mixture really moist, touch it as little as possible, don't roll it out to thin, don't twist the cutter.
Also I use a small pot of natural yoghurt mixed in with the milk, it make the scones really light and fluffy. I used to use buttermilk but don't make butter these days and it isn't that easy to buy.

[
Oh you shouldn't have shown me those Meg... now you have made me hungry!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

[
You could try putting a squirt of lemon juice into some whole milk or use plain yoghurt thinned down with water or milk. (this also makes a popular Turkish drink called Ayran - I used to drink it all the time when in Turkey)
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Oh you shouldn't have shown me those Meg... now you have made me hungry!
Especially the one on the bottom left - I nearly took a bite out of my computer monitor.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Especially the one on the bottom left - I nearly took a bite out of my computer monitor.
I had my eye on that one too... bet Meg's eaten it now!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

08-07-2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I had my eye on that one too... bet Meg's eaten it now!
Aye, greedy bugger.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You could try putting a squirt of lemon juice into some whole milk or use plain yoghurt thinned down with water or milk. (this also makes a popular Turkish drink called Ayran - I used to drink it all the time when in Turkey)

Turkish Delight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top