Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
JeanMcP
Ireland
JeanMcP is female  JeanMcP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 10:25 AM

Re: what's your favourite tipple, and has it changed over the years

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Snap Paula, half lager with two shots of lime was my usual ''cant afford anything else'' when I was a teenager. Brandy and Babycham when I was offered a drink or flush with money. The worse fad I had (and the worse time for throwing up when celebrating with the girls was the dreaded RUM AND BLACK.
Urgh! Still cringe when I think of that sweet sickly drink.

Nowadays it's a glass of good quality Ros'e and one glass of Gin & Tonic with Ice & a Slice on a Saturday evening.
(It's one way of remembering what day it is since retiring!)
That's my excuse anyway.

Im glad it wasn't just me then

I can remember that day as clear as a bell all these years later, what on earth possessed us?

I too was partial to a brandy and babycham. Last year I came across original babycham glasses in an auction and brought some babycham, but haven't touched it - display on the bar purpose only

Ive drunk scotch and coke on and off the last 40 years. Im also partial to red wine - chilled, and a cold strongbow on a hot summers day

Christmas Day treat is Baileys, after a big feed, later in the evening a glass of Baileys and some nice chocolate instead of dessert
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 02:52 PM

Alcohol tends to disrupt my sleep, and/or have me going to the loo many times in the night. That aside, I do love a drop of cherry brandy (but have had an unopened bottle for years), pear cider, apple cider, a shandy with lime cordial in. A home made snowball. I have all these in the house but hardly bother. Or a Baileys, if you're offering.

I like white wine or rose, and buy the tiny bottles for £1, so there is no waste.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 05:57 PM

OMG, I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread! I am currently sipping a Grant's and ginger ale, while Mr Glanny is imbibing a Jameson's and lemonade. Sunday night is whisky/ey night!
I usually have a couple of g&t's on Friday night. Midweek probably a cream sherry while cooking. Yep, I enjoy a drink or 3 but not every night. However like a lot of peeps my alcohol cosumption has increased since "the Miley"...

Yes, my tastes have changed, only been a gin drinker the last 20 years. Used to drink dry martini and lemonade or Cinzano. I remember when I was 18 pouring my whisky and lemonade into a beer glass because my mum was also there with friends, so she would think I was drinking beer

Tried all sorts in my teens. Remember snowballs?!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 07:07 PM

Hi, Glanny -

When I got married, I moved to Northern Ireland where my husband lived. I too drank dry martini and lemonade but was taken aback when I was asked if it was with brown lemonade as here in Scotland I had never experienced brown lemonade.

Nowadays I prefer gin and have recently been enjoying Gordon's orange gin.
JeanMcP
Ireland
JeanMcP is female  JeanMcP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
OMG, I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread! I am currently sipping a Grant's and ginger ale, while Mr Glanny is imbibing a Jameson's and lemonade. Sunday night is whisky/ey night!
I usually have a couple of g&t's on Friday night. Midweek probably a cream sherry while cooking. Yep, I enjoy a drink or 3 but not every night. However like a lot of peeps my alcohol cosumption has increased since "the Miley"...

Yes, my tastes have changed, only been a gin drinker the last 20 years. Used to drink dry martini and lemonade or Cinzano. I remember when I was 18 pouring my whisky and lemonade into a beer glass because my mum was also there with friends, so she would think I was drinking beer

Tried all sorts in my teens. Remember snowballs?!
Advocate and lemonade? Oh yes

I remember going to the offie and trying to buy babycham - we ( little sister and me ) were told not a chance. We didn't know it was alcohol as it was given to us by adults at Christmas
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Hi, Glanny -

When I got married, I moved to Northern Ireland where my husband lived. I too drank dry martini and lemonade but was taken aback when I was asked if it was with brown lemonade as here in Scotland I had never experienced brown lemonade.

Nowadays I prefer gin and have recently been enjoying Gordon's orange gin.

Hi, Last Tango,

Yes, you have reminded me you always had to specify white lemonade when ordering your drink! Don't think I have ever actually had brown lemonade and never see it these days.
Glanny
N.Ireland

30-08-2020, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by JeanMcP ->
Advocate and lemonade? Oh yes

I remember going to the offie and trying to buy babycham - we ( little sister and me ) were told not a chance. We didn't know it was alcohol as it was given to us by adults at Christmas

JeanMcP
Ireland

30-08-2020, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->

Im sure we are of the same family

I remember aged 15, Ballyshannon and I was on the vodka and orange, Only no one was paying for the orange so you go a dash - of squash

I no longer drink vodka after the following morning of my 16th, I sat on the back of a bike and went to rossnoulagh (sp)

Think I was still half cut time I reached Liverpool
Glanny
N.Ireland

30-08-2020, 10:49 PM

We could be long lost twins

I had a summer job in New Jersey in 1972 when I finished college here and was introduced to the delights of screwdrivers... Went to a party back home later that year and had a few too many and haven't drunk vodka since

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top