Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 11:32 PM

Re: tomato plant

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's impressive Mups. I am sure that your tomatoes thrive just as your other beautiful plants & flowers.

I have spotted the first red tomato today. Thank you rain!

Thank you Annie. I must admit I was rather surprised as I was counting.

I have got 2 plants in a little polythene zip up grow house, but this particular plant I counted was grown a little differently.

I was a new idea I tried for the first time this year.
I bought some clear plastic cloches. They concertina up flat when not in use. I tried just one plant in this as an experiment and it has grown amazingly.

The other cloches are out in the shed somewhere at the mo, I will have a look tomorrow and get the name and see if I can post a picture or link.
I thought it was a rather flimsy thing, just like a tall polythene bag on a ciruclar frame which you can make taller as the plant gains height. But I am really pleased how good it's been and will definitely buy more next year, as I haven;t got a proper greenhouse to grow them in.

Having said all this, I think the variety you choose, and the TLC given make a big difference too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 11:57 PM

Mups I gave a local BFF seeds, soil and pots as thanks for shopping support during lockdown. We had the same seeds (money maker) and soil etc but she had a good sheltered position and fed hers more regularly. Her tomatoes are amazing! It's like Kew gardens on her roof patio. Her first gardening project and she has green fingers. So maybe there is something to be said about tlc and special care and a personal touch.

I moved our tomatoes to a more sheltered spot and they thrived. But that was part way through the growth cycle. It's fascinating how small changes like adding a bit of soil make so much difference. ls horse manure good for tomatoes? There's so much difference with a bit of rainwater too. It's a wonder we are still alive with tap water!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 11:07 PM

Annie, I can't see on the internet the 'hoods' I bought, and can't remember where I got them from now.
They are similar to this one though, but mine have got a metal framework inside to hold them rigid. They are really just a giant polythene bag over a circular frame I suppose.
Funny how the one in the bag has got more fruits than the other two in the tomato growhouse though.

I never let them dry out, and have been feeding either Tomorite or liquid Seaweed once a week on them since the first truss was set.
I use both rain water and tap water, whichever is nearest.

I'm pretty sure you can use a little horse poo if you want, but not fresh stuff else it can burn them, best after it has been composted for a while.

Whoops, forgot the link:

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/871133830...CABEgIUuPD_BwE

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top