Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2020, 07:25 PM

Re: Tow path terrorists

Two examples why I prefer animals.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/27/idiot...ents-container

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/12/pigeon-13120025/
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2020, 07:47 PM

Ignorant people.

‘The towpath has become totally unusable for a horse. I get people shouting things like ‘That’s really cruel, what are you doing to those horses?’ But they don’t understand — it’s an easy pull for a horse. I could pull that boat, it’s on water so it’s not heavy.’

Ms Roberts claims that pulling a boat is much easier for a horse than someone riding them. She said while people getting impatient waiting for the animals to pass is nothing new, confrontations had become worse in recent years with one man even attempting to push her horse out the way.

‘He got both hands on the horse and tried to push him. He ended up with his earphones in the hedge and threatening to report us.

‘If you get stressed the horses get stressed.

‘I love my horses to bits and if anybody accuses me of being cruel to them it really hurts.

‘There comes a time when you think you just can’t do it anymore.’
Animals are not dumb.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2020, 10:26 PM

I see no other point in using a horse to pull a 15 tonne plus boat other than to make money from giving others the opportunity to enjoy the water.

People moaned about the donkeys at Blackpool carrying people for short distances but towing a boat that could exceed 18 tonnes loaded is ok for horses???
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

02-09-2020, 09:45 AM

As a licensed business health and safety would be paramount, regular checks on the boats and veterinary examinations a necessity to keep it.

On a holiday to Llandudno we saw how well looked after the horses were on the canal.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

02-09-2020, 09:56 AM

An idyllic life for a horse bred to work.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 10:00 AM

Hi

Simple physics.

It may well be 15 tons on dry land, it is not in water.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

02-09-2020, 11:28 AM

http://www.canaljunction.com/craft/horsedrawn.htm

A horse pulling a barge is an extremely efficient form of transport.

At a steady walking speed a horse can move approximately fifty times as much weight in a boat as it could with a cart on old fashioned roads, possibly a hundred times its own body weight. The load moves with minimal friction whilst the strength of the animal is linked directly to the load with little wasted energy and it was this efficiency equation that inspired the development of the canal system in the eighteenth century. It was also this same old-fashioned horsepower that kept it going profitably for a century and a half thereafter.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

02-09-2020, 11:33 AM

#8 Morticia can see what this is really about.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Simple physics.

It may well be 15 tons on dry land, it is not in water.
Ahhh simple physics......thats ok then.....but does the horse know this?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

02-09-2020, 11:40 AM

Animals aren't dumb people are.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top