Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:06 PM

Blenders?

Ok so I have had a moulinex Optiblend 2000, since about 2000! it still works ok, just that recently the blender jug emits some black stuff from the motor. Not sure what's happened but it's pretty good going for 20 years use plus the coffee grinder works just fine!

So looking at blenders today it seems there is a painful lack of choice. The cheaper blenders don't do hot food. Some of the more expensive ones don't either. I found a tefal blender that is at the cheaper end and does hot food, but there's no coffee grinder attachment. (or option to buy one). The blender itself had mixed reviews which put me off somewhat.

It made a shiver go down my back though. Our choices are getting narrower. The quality goods we have been used to are much reduced as producers don't bother with a smaller market. For example I was looking for an electric orange juicer recently and it was really tough finding anything. (don't people drink fresh squeezed juice any more?!)

But my question to the lovely OFF is can you recommend a blender (which is currently available)? Lots of products that were more than half decent are going off market. I don't fancy paying £200 for a magimix when the optiblend cost under 20 quid new!

I'm just happy the moulinex is still working. Someone is selling parts, so maybe that's the answer?!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:20 PM

Re: Blenders?

Is this the same sort of machine?

Moulinex LM2211 UNO 2-in-1 Blender & Coffee Mill

£36.79 at Amazon
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:42 PM

Hi Omah that's a super find but it does have shocking reviews! Lots say that it's nowhere as robust as the old model. It's a pity as I'd have snapped it up.

The other was a bargain. I think I bought it in Currys and was offered insurance for two thirds the cost of the item! I remember saying at the time that if it breaks I may as well buy another. More than 20 years ago!

I may look at the spare parts websites.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Hi Omah that's a super find but it does have shocking reviews! Lots say that it's nowhere as robust as the old model. It's a pity as I'd have snapped it up.

The other was a bargain. I think I bought it in Currys and was offered insurance for two thirds the cost of the item! I remember saying at the time that if it breaks I may as well buy another. More than 20 years ago!

I may look at the spare parts websites.
OK .....

I was surprised to find, while searching, that Moulinex had so few products available - at one time, Moulinex was a "go to" brand .....

Here's why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulinex

2001: "Colossal" losses prompt a restructuring including a reduction of 4,000 staff and closure of factories in France, Brazil, and Thurles (Ireland), in an effort to return to profit. Later that year the company declares bankruptcy. Groupe SEB eventually takes over.

Groupe SEB (Société d'Emboutissage de Bourgogne) is a large French consortium that produces small appliances, and it's the world's largest manufacturer of cookware. Notable brand names associated with Groupe SEB include All-Clad, IMUSA , Krups, Moulinex, Rowenta, Tefal (including OBH Nordica) and WMF Group. According to the Groupe SEB website, they have faced considerable competition from low-price Chinese competitors, but have managed to maintain a constant sales level. A large proportion of their product lines are now manufactured in China. Weakness in the European markets is expected to be balanced out by further growth in North America and Asia.
It's the way of the world .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-09-2020, 11:56 PM

It is the way of the world but it's shocking and frightening how fast this is has changed. In a way it's a great opportunity for new entrants, but who wants to enter when the economic and business environment is so hostile and the investment upfront costs so high?

A great time for spare parts suppliers!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 12:01 AM

I won a blender as 3rd prize in the War Veterans Lottery in about 1976, It sat unused in my cupboard until I threw it in the bin about 5 years ago.

When I got it I made a couple of smoothies but never really saw the point of it. At the time my kids were a bit too old to make baby food for them.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 01:31 AM

I seldom use my blender. I use my Mini Whizz (A small scale food processor which still does just about everything a larger one does) all the time, an electric citrus juicer (They are easy to get here- why not there?) a fruit juicer for apples, carrots, pears etc. I find blenders are a hassle. Also I try not to buy cheap Chinese stuff. It's hard to find things that aren't made in China but it's worth the search. I'd rather pay more for something of real quality. That goes for absolutely everything.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 09:40 AM

I have a good working Moulinex that dates back at least 45yrs. It was bought to help mix our last daughter's milk formula which was National Dried and a pig to mix thoroughly by hand. It has a slight leak again from the spindle so I'll be repacking the gland again sometime soon. I can't remember the price but my wife seems to think it was under a fiver, so money well spent
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 05:31 PM

I use a hand blender.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 06:59 PM

I use a Magic Bullet from Argos, It does a good job, I'm heavily into fruit and green smoothies and I wouldn't be without mine. Nutribullets are good too but more expensive.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8358...lenders:5:67:1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top