Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 08:11 PM

Re: Red wine or white ?

Portuguese Red for me, been on it since the 70s, got a good dealer, hush hush.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I won't have anything French on principle. Apart from Italian Chiantis, I don't drink European wines at all. German wines - who would have thought you can buy vinegar in 70cl bottles?

These days, my wines of choice are Australian, especially the McGuigan range. I'm just imbibing in one of their Sauvignons as I type. I find their Chardonnay and Shiraz wines very palatable too.
I'm with you there on German wines. Do you remember Liebfraumilch? As a child it was the wine that people would bring to a dinner party. I don't think they even sell it these days.

I'm not a big fan of the mass produced label ranges. They seem the most "chemically". They are drinkable but you don't get the glowing satisfaction of those non commercial vineyards.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Portuguese Red for me, been on it since the 70s, got a good dealer, hush hush.
Aha! Perhaps you know why we don't have a deluge of the most amazing Portuguese wines in this country? I just couldn't believe what I had been missing all these years. Who is buying them all up? Is there a blockade by a secret society of West central Londoners who fill their private swimming pools and cellars with the stuff?
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 12:28 AM

I had a bottle of portugese liqueur I think the spelling is BEIRAO.... It's a lovely drink, it's not easy to get here but last Christmas I got a bottle from Master of malt....and I keep it to myself
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 02:31 AM

No wine !
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've tried all sorts of prices OGF. It's drinkable but never the smooth quality of cheap wine abroad. I do wonder whether they do something to it before it's exported. The best range I've come across for red is Sainsbury's organic. Douro is great and I found it in Morrisons. I don't know why we haven't had more access to Portuguese wines.
It's probably my palate Annie. Anyway, after the first glass they all taste the same to me.....'Hick'....Burp!...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-09-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's probably my palate Annie. Anyway, after the first glass they all taste the same to me.....'Hick'....Burp!...
Very true OGF!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 07:22 PM

Aha! Perhaps you know why we don't have a deluge of the most amazing Portuguese wines in this country? I just couldn't believe what I had been missing all these years. Who is buying them all up? Is there a blockade by a secret society of West central Londoners who fill their private swimming pools and cellars with the stuff?
I had a fly in the swimming pool of my goblet, hooked him out, he could barely walk, let alone fly. I did the decent thing: cruel to be kind. Cheers.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-09-2020, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I had a fly in the swimming pool of my goblet, hooked him out, he could barely walk, let alone fly. I did the decent thing: cruel to be kind. Cheers.
So the question is, did you carry on drinking the wine from that glass?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 03:24 PM

So the question is, did you carry on drinking the wine from that glass?
Why on earth not? The alcohol in the wine makes a perfectly good disinfectant.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top