Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 11:17 AM

Re: Falconry Shows... A Good Or A Bad Thing?

I think most birds of prey used in demonstrations are bred in captivity or they were rescues as youngsters & were for what ever reason unable to be rehabilitated to the wild. I much prefer to see the bird of prey displays than to see birds in zoo's in cages & never to be able to fly free.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 11:28 AM

The international bird of prey centre got a few of the birds as they were being smuggled into the country and the people involved got caught
well worth a visit if your in that part of the country

link
https://www.icbp.org/
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 12:28 PM

Quite a few years ago I went to a similar show, where I met Charlie, an eagle owl.
He was beautiful but huge & the man who brought him asked if I wanted to touch him.....so I said "yes". I was assured that he was friendly, and he was, but he was about as big as the top half of my body and, if he wasn't used to humans I suspect he could have harmed me.
I have seen many birds of prey since & they are kept fit & healthy, so providing the owner knows what they are doing,I think they have a good life.

Cats & dogs are wild animals, but if they could chose ownership or the wildlife, I suspect that those who have good owners would never choose to return to the wild..... because no animal wants to be hungry!

I have wild buzzards, often hovering over my garden, but when one swooped about 12 feet over my head I was very aware of who was the strongest!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Raptors are beautiful birds but to be honest, I do not like to see them tethered in captivity.
Me neither. It bothers me seeing them tied up like that. They should be able to live and fly wherever they want to go. Once again it's just an excuse for man to exploit animals for money.

Warwick Castle is great btw. One of my favourites along with Leeds and Hever.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 02:07 PM

The birds had and have every chance to escape but they seemed to love what they were doing.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
The birds had and have every chance to escape but they seemed to love what they were doing.
They do go walkabout some times. I remember the couple up the road who were falconer's, losing one of their birds that they used to fly on Dartmoor not far from my house It had a tracker on it & eventually they did recover it. There's a worry that if not found they can get caught up in branches & other hazzards with their jesses on.
The couple used to walk passed my house with the birds of prey on their wrists. They did move house a few years after & used to work at the Dartmoor zoo giving displays, they, later still, founded a proper falconry centre here in Devon. No idea where they are now though.
This was years ago. I remembered actually having their female buzzard on my wrist once when they came to our WI to give a talk.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
They do go walkabout some times. I remember the couple up the road who were falconer's, losing one of their birds that they used to fly on Dartmoor not far from my house It had a tracker on it & eventually they did recover it. There's a worry that if not found they can get caught up in branches & other hazzards with their jesses on.
The couple used to walk passed my house with the birds of prey on their wrists. They did move house a few years after & used to work at the Dartmoor zoo giving displays, they, later still, founded a proper falconry centre here in Devon. No idea where they are now though.
This was years ago. I remembered actually having their female buzzard on my wrist once when they came to our WI to give a talk.
Tiffany, My son loved to go to the Newent Falconry Centre.

The worst thing was keeping dead day old chicks in my freezer. Especially, seeing them when l was pregnant with my last child and l had morning sickness.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top