Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 02:24 PM

Re: Irritating Soggy Bottoms!

Originally Posted by Mags ->
SG now you have tempted me to buy some Pukka Pies to see if I get a soggy bottom!

Well Mags, HWMO is usually as fussy as me! The moment he found some gristle in a shop bought pie, that was it! never again. He would only ever eat home-made as he knows exactly what goes into it. Until he tried this Steak, Onion & Ale Pukka Pie from the chippie, we hadn't eaten a shop bought pie for nigh on twenty years.

I must admit I couldn't fault the filling, it was very tender pieces of steak with plenty of gravy, and apart from the soggy bottom cooking episodes, the puff pastry was very nice. BUT.......I did buy a larger version of the Pukka pie a couple of weeks ago as it was money off, but I wouldn't get it again! it is not half as nice as the individual pies which have much more filling. -Pukka Pies also do a Chicken & Mushroom and a Minced Beef and Onion, but we haven't tried those yet. Good luck with cooking them though Mags, Never say die with getting rid of that bloomin soggy bottom.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 02:28 PM

I love Pukka Pies from our chippie...I usually have either the minced beef and onion one or the steak and kidney one ...Ive not tried buying them and cooking them ..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ladies & Gentlemen, I never suffer from 'soggy bottoms' with my pies, as I purchase mine already cooked - have sometimes burnt my fingers as have purchased pies that have come straight out of the oven.

You'll all have to find yourselves a decent pie shop like this one, which is just down the road from me and I frequent this establish regularly.

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz_photos/bangers-brighton
UJ, you are so lucky to have a proper pie shop where the pies only need to be reheated. I bet the aroma from that shop is delicious.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Well I did mention the preheated tray way back when but was ignored

Ho hum
Thanks Judd. Missy, I hope you saw that your post was the very first one I replied to. xxx
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Aysa, I don't know what it is with the Chippy ones. HWMO says they taste nicer than even than the shop bought ones (barring soggy bottom). but I know that once they reach the cooking temperature, they are not allowed to put them into a microwave to make them any hotter(I prefer them piping hot just out of the oven), plus the chippie Pukka Pie is always accompanied by a wad of chips which always puts a smile on HWMO's face, as if done at home, it's always with creamy mash and plenty of vegetables. No competition which one he prefers!! LOL.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Muddy, I was always told that they are not suitable for microwaves, probably because it cooks them where the pastry gets really soft, just as you like them. I love crispy puff pastry on the top though,
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Tiffany, it seems that a fan-assisted oven is definitely the way to go to avoid soggy bottoms as both you and Azure have now recommended it.
I will try both this way and Judd's way to see which are the most successful. Thanks x
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 02:46 PM

I hate using my fan oven as It always burns stuff...it cooks very hot..its like trial and error using it
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

29-10-2018, 02:54 PM

I found that too Aysa. Sometimes if I am cooking something delicate like fish in the main oven, HWMO may on the very rare occasion, fancy crispy french fries instead of potatoes, but of course these french fries have to be cooked on a much higher regulo so I use the fan-assist on 20c below normal oven setting, but... I still manage to burn the ends of quite a few, even though I cook them in the centre of fan assist as advised, and also turning them half way through. Sigh!
Also, the fan-assist oven is right at the bottom of the cooker, whereas the main oven hardly requires any bending down, so the main oven wins every time!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

29-10-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I found that too Aysa. Sometimes if I am cooking something delicate like fish in the main oven, HWMO may on the very rare occasion, fancy crispy french fries instead of potatoes, but of course these french fries have to be cooked on a much higher regulo so I use the fan-assist on 20c below normal oven setting, but... I still manage to burn the ends of quite a few, even though I cook them in the centre of fan assist as advised, and also turning them half way through. Sigh!
Also, the fan-assist oven is right at the bottom of the cooker, whereas the main oven hardly requires any bending down, so the main oven wins every time!
Exactly the problems I have to SG ...Ive tried reducing the heat but then things tend not to cook properly..it drives me mad when things get burnt edges

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top