Join for free
Page 20 of 21 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 11:23 PM

Re: Have you taken any acid suppression medicines?

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
I'm no doctor or pharmacist. If it worked for you, that's great.

Others might choose to ask the pros before doing the same thing though.
Some tablets are coated - designed for slow-release over a 24 hour period.
Break it and you get the whole hit (or half hit) in one go.
Can be a bit 'iffy' with some pills.

Now take a seat and hold on to something before you read this Pummy. . . .

I agree with you.

They have a protective coating on for a reason, and shouldn't be crushed or cut.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2017, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
I'm no doctor or pharmacist. If it worked for you, that's great.

Others might choose to ask the pros before doing the same thing though.
Some tablets are coated - designed for slow-release over a 24 hour period.
Break it and you get the whole hit (or half hit) in one go.
Can be a bit 'iffy' with some pills.

the ones I have are capsules full of something like "hundreds and thousands"

You'd think the GP would be able to get hold of lower doses in 5mg. But apparently not so. Perhaps another conspiracy by drug companies to keep us hooked on meds.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2017, 09:51 AM

I was, at some point changed to Esomemprazole, I'm not sure if they're in different strengths.
The Dr. said they were a different strain of the same drug ( smoke and mirrors?) and worked differently.
I wish I could remember half of my pharmacy training!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2017, 11:45 PM

I had some dental surgery and despite telling the dentist I couldn't tolerate ibruprofen........wretched man lost my notes (I later sued him...yes!!!) was given six ibruprofen and told to swallow them in one go.
I was in hell!
Eventually 30 mg lansoprazole kicked in......... but I checked for another way to control the burning and strangely found a apple cider vinegar method with baking soda. I tried it, very cautiously, but it really worked Eventually got down to 10mg and then stopped........kept on with the apple cider vinegar for a time, then could stop that too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 12:20 AM

So lindy you managed to control acid completely with the apple vinegar? I have heard it's wonderful, but when I tried it could not keep up taking it on a daily basis. It seemed to make my symptoms worse at the time, but maybe I was so damaged because I was drinking regularly that it wasn't a good move then.

In my case completely stopping drinking alcohol and fizzy drinks has really helped. Not taking omeprazole has made me feel a whole lot better after the initial withdrawal symptoms. It's nice to be clean of medication and let your body take over. It's tough to not be able to drink booze though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I had some dental surgery and despite telling the dentist I couldn't tolerate ibruprofen........wretched man lost my notes (I later sued him...yes!!!) was given six ibruprofen and told to swallow them in one go.
I was in hell!
Eventually 30 mg lansoprazole kicked in......... but I checked for another way to control the burning and strangely found a apple cider vinegar method with baking soda. I tried it, very cautiously, but it really worked Eventually got down to 10mg and then stopped........kept on with the apple cider vinegar for a time, then could stop that too.

WHAT? Crikey Lindy, I've never heard of such a thing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-02-2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So lindy you managed to control acid completely with the apple vinegar? I have heard it's wonderful, but when I tried it could not keep up taking it on a daily basis. It seemed to make my symptoms worse at the time, but maybe I was so damaged because I was drinking regularly that it wasn't a good move then.

In my case completely stopping drinking alcohol and fizzy drinks has really helped. Not taking omeprazole has made me feel a whole lot better after the initial withdrawal symptoms. It's nice to be clean of medication and let your body take over. It's tough to not be able to drink booze though.

Annie, the book I mentioned earlier in the thread, explains about that. She says this is a good sign that it is beginning to work.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

02-02-2017, 01:06 AM

Mups thats interesting. Things always get worse when you're healing I guess. Which page was the book mentioned as I would like to have a look?

So I might give it another go as I think I was just doing all the wrong things for my health last year - new leaf now! There was a lady on holiday with us a few years ago who swore by Apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. She'd had leaky gut cured by it. Kefir is meant to be really good. I was looking for kefir seeds on the web to ferment my own, but hard to find a trusted source.

They say your gut is your second brain so I wonder how much of the problem is also emotional. I know I've had more reflux when stressed or upset.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

I took the apple cider vinegar with the omeprazole for a while until I could reduce the omeprazole, then eventually stopped that altogether. I started making a very weak version of the apple cider vinegar - perhaps less of that and more of the bicarb.
I've been mostly clear of acid for years, just a bit from time to time, so carry some omeprazole with me in case of emergencies but haven't had a prescription for more than six years.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I took the apple cider vinegar with the omeprazole for a while until I could reduce the omeprazole, then eventually stopped that altogether. I started making a very weak version of the apple cider vinegar - perhaps less of that and more of the bicarb.
I've been mostly clear of acid for years, just a bit from time to time, so carry some omeprazole with me in case of emergencies but haven't had a prescription for more than six years.
Lindyloo, Thank You so, so much for your tip about taking apple cider vinegar!
After reading your post yesterday, l went straight out to Holland and Barrett and bought some cider vinegar. I took it in water and last night l slept soundly without the discomfort l have been suffering lately. My symptoms were so bad, they even tested me for Ovarian Cancer.
I have to say, l didn't know that there are different types of ACV and now after reading up about it, l wonder if l might have been better buying Organic 'mother' apple cider vinegar and not just the cider vinegar?
If you or anyone could advise, l would be most grateful.

Page 20 of 21 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top