Join for free
Page 10 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 01:02 PM

Re: No talent "art""

One interesting point is that the stature is supposed to portray David before he whacked Goliath with his sling shot .
There is in his neck a prominent vein showing not usual in young people
This apparently does happened sometimes in times of great excitement as in before battle .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
What was it about the statue that made you emotional, and what emotion did you feel?
To me he was so perfect that I felt he could suddenly come to life if he was touched by a human & if I could have reached his hand I think I would have tried to touch him.
I am not normally emotional about art, so it made me realize that this sculpture was something special to me & I have never forgotten how I felt at that time, because I wanted him to be alive!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
When someone made a comment about The David's willie. It went down hill, rapidly, from there.
Ayyyee. Thank you.
The David statue was put forward as an example of "real" art, but it is, in fact, just a realistic representation of a naked man. It's production may well be the outcome of an extraordinary amount of skill, but that doesn't mean it is an example of exceptional art. The craftsmanship may be remarkable, but how aesthetically pleasing one finds it is purely a matter of taste. I don't have much of a taste for naked men, and perhaps that's why I don't see as much artistic merit in the statue as Bakerman does.
No offence to men, as I enjoy gazing at a man’s physique, but that doesn’t do it for me either.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
To me he was so perfect that I felt he could suddenly come to life if he was touched by a human & if I could have reached his hand I think I would have tried to touch him.
I am not normally emotional about art, so it made me realize that this sculpture was something special to me & I have never forgotten how I felt at that time, because I wanted him to be alive!
Sounds like a profound experience, Twink.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 02:22 PM

Sounds like a profound experience, Twink.
I think it was and the memory of that moment that is still with me over 30 years later.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 03:32 PM

I don't mean to take that moment away from you, but have you seen those people who stand for hours being statues? They are usually spray-painted bronze or gold, maybe even silver? Your comment just brought them to mind, that's all. Also, I think of them as a form of street art....some of them are pretty spectacular.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 04:51 PM

I think the "someone" he refers to is me.
Hee hee. Well in that case. Thank YoU!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Anyone remember one of the old Hammer Horror stories about precisely that?
Yes - the one about the pompous art-critic who was taken down a peg. Christopher Lee, was it?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

13-06-2021, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I don't mean to take that moment away from you, but have you seen those people who stand for hours being statues? They are usually spray-painted bronze or gold, maybe even silver? Your comment just brought them to mind, that's all. Also, I think of them as a form of street art....some of them are pretty spectacular.
I understand the comparison you are making but the people you are thinking of were created by their parents. I don't think it can be an easy job and many are very good at what they do...I have seen quite a few on my travels, and they are impressive!
Where the difference lies, is that their muscles & bones are good because they look after their bodies. In David's case he was sculpted from marble by a great artist who made the bones & muscles look as perfect as any real life human being. To me that makes him a beautiful work of art that was once a lump of marble & is now as beautiful as any real human.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 05:18 PM

Twink, You are a lucky woman to be able to have that special feeling. That feeling is perhaps more rare than you may realize.
By the way, legend has it that when Michelangelo completed The Moses statue, he struck it with a small hammer and exclaimed "Now speak".

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc06fc237cffe3db2ed17797fe579687b.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	15914  

Page 10 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top