Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Re: 1/5th of maternity budget on blunders !

Originally Posted by Sandi ->
BV
We do have a good system, but unfortunately the Government hasn't been putting money into infrastructure. Our State Governments are responsible for Hospitals and they get some money from the Federal Government.

We also have an aging population, what we call baby boomers, which are putting strain on hospitals. We also don't have enough nurses and Doctors coming through the system, causing some hospitals to close down wards because they can't man them. Some country people have to travel hundreds of miles to see a Dr because they don't want to practice in country towns, apart from the fact we don't have enough to go round.
Hi Sandi - do you know, that is word for word what our governments tell us is the problem here. Can it really be the same problem all over? Or is it the same excuse not to invest in people?

We are retired and eligible for free cover, but we still keep our Medical Benefits Scheme going so if we need to go to hospital we don't go on a waiting list and we can go to Private hospital if we need to.

Don't know about the other states but the ramping is happening here.

Reading some of the posts on here, I do think we are maybe better off than your pensioners although costs are rising and it's harder for pensioners to manage.

We don't qualify for a pension, although we have both worked all our lives and paid for it with our taxes (they had a levy on our wages) but because we have been careful and saved we are penalised for it. I paid single tax for most of my working life.
Due to having the NHS, private insurance was never a thing that most people considered and, as things have turned out, it's rather left us up the creek without a paddle as trying to get insured later in life is way too costly. I think the youngsters are showing interest in insurance though and I don't blame them!

My brother lives in Perth and has done for about 40 years; he said he misses England all the time but would never come back as his living standards would fall too much.
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2013, 04:25 PM

Lovely city Perth. Have you been to visit him BV ?

Yes I would think he is right, going by what I have read on the forum here.
I think your wages are a lot lower than ours too. I was surprised when I heard what some people get as a yearly wage.

PS
BV I like your little quote but I would have to change it slightly if I put it on mine to :- It's not my fault I'm Optomistic (Positive) - even my blood group says B positive
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2013, 09:33 PM

No, I haven't Sandi. I've only seen him once since he left the UK and only spoken twice on the telephone; to be honest, I know more about my neighbours than I know about him! He's not really family orientated.

My little quote is meant tongue-in-cheek and just to raise a smile I used to be quite an optimist until I took an interest in politics - I kid you not!
Sandi
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 04:38 PM

What a shame BV. I spent 15 years looking for my brother and found him just as I was about to get married and he was in my wedding. I was put into an orphanage when very small and adopted. It was one of the happiest days for me, to finally have someone I really belonged to.

Maybe he's realised that BV and that's why he wants to come home.
Enough or I might start crying.

NO, my Blood Group really is B positive has nothing to do with politics for me.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-11-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sandi ->

NO, my Blood Group really is B positive has nothing to do with politics for me.
Pssst - just between you and I, mine is O positive (really really common, just didn't want my mum to hear me uttering the word 'common' )
Sandi

11-11-2013, 06:58 AM

pmsl at BV

It might be common BV but at least it can save a lot of lives as it can be used in place of most other blood types. Thank God for people who do give blood as my daughter has had many transfusions this year.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top