Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 05:00 PM

11% For Some.

What do you think to the prospect of MPs getting an 11% pay rise in 2015 ? My own view is that they should be paid more, commensurate with the responsibility of the job but..............they should have no second job ( being an MP should take up all their working time), they should not have all the perks they have eg no subsidised canteen, get a pension only according to what they've paid in like other public employees, no fiddling their housing expenses, etc. They should have money docked if they don't turn up for work unless they're ill. In short, they should be treated like any other worker.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 05:06 PM

Re: 11% For Some.

Yes, if all the things you have listed applied to them, and, it was their sole job ....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 05:16 PM

I couldn't agree more Alan. I was surprised (goodness knows why) when I read recently that Margaret Thatcher's house 'legally' didn't belong to her but that it was owned by a BVI company - talk about double standards; and they wonder why people detest politics and politicians.

In conjunction with your suggestions, I would add that there should be a way of us giving them a month's notice if they fail to perform adequately - just like any other employee.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 05:30 PM

My opinion is they should either get NMW or basic pension, then lets see how they manage as they seem to expect us to be able to house/feed and clothe ourselves on it. Good enough for us should be good enough them or are we not all in it together ?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 06:18 PM

Zero Hours contracts for them - if they don't turn up, they don't get paid. Simples!! stevmk2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 09:26 PM

I dont think they should get 11% no other worker will get that % so why should they ,or have i missed the news saying everyones getting this huge rise . With all their perks for second homes they have ,i think they get enough .i read they get £78.000 a year so if they cannot make ends meet on that they shouldnt be an MP.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 09:35 PM

I agree with Alan. They should be paid a salary commensurate with their responsibilities and if they do a good job, £78k is not unreasonable. I have no problem with subsidised canteens or reasonable expenses etc.. - that's what many other people get.

Remember, If they don't do their job properly, we can be vote them out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 10:18 PM

Never understood why politicians ever get pay rises at all. Surely under the Conservative/Liberal ideology they should be paid progressively less?

Have you ever seen an election were there were less candidates than the number of positions vacant? after each election surely they should get a pay cut because there are more applicants than positions available. It's amazing how 'dry' politicians want to apply supply side economics to everybody but themselves.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 08:21 AM

People, people, people you all know my views on reform of our 'broken' democracy, so all I'll now ask is: Where's my T.72 Tank???
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 08:54 AM

Yes if they get sacked for incompetence, like Ian Duncan Smith has just wiped off £40 million in a failed computer scheme.
And they should be squeaky clean and no fiddling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top