Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 07:27 PM

Re: 20 reasons to abandon Christianity

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
And ?

What happen over the last two thousand years , story's , barbaric acts etc , is what made Christianity as it is today ,
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Quaker (the Religious Society of Friends ) were dissenting Protestants emerging in the 17th century . I have known many Quakers and they would consider themselves to be followers of the Christian religion .
Yes we are broadly Christian but anyone is welcome we don't turn many people away, the drunks at Christmas occasionally asked to leave and come back when they are less inebriated but someone will usually run them home. Anyone else just take a seat and witness. Our particular meeting house has a couple of atheists and a Buddhist who seem to feel at home with us.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Markey1 ->
What happen over the last two thousand years , story's , barbaric acts etc , is what made Christianity as it is today ,
Well if we judged whether to get rid of things on the past like that we may as well all jump off this rock as humanity hasn't a very nice history at all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Christianity is no better or worse than any other religions, most religions have been used at some time to brain wash believers into being submissive making populations easier to manage and less likely to revolt.
They have also been hijacked by power seekers and fanatics to further their own ends which had nothing to do with religion.

I have no objection to Christians taking The New Testament as a book of rules to be used for the good of others .
I think what we need is no religions at all instead a world council that has a book of rules to benefit all mankind .That is never going to happen thought..
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 08:00 PM

Well if we judged whether to get rid of things on the past like that we may as well all jump off this rock as humanity hasn't a very nice history at all.
But a lot hasn't change either , lot of it still happens today in many parts of this world , wasn't it a christian army that invaded irag and afghan of late
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-03-2015, 08:21 PM

No it was USA and Uk and various other countries most of the armies had representatives from all religions and many atheists too. I can't think of one Christian army unless you are thinking of the Salvation army and they tend to go in to give aid to people not to kill them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-03-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Christianity is no better or worse than any other religions, most religions have been used at some time to brain wash believers into being submissive making populations easier to manage and less likely to revolt.
They have also been hijacked by power seekers and fanatics to further their own ends which had nothing to do with religion.

I have no objection to Christians taking The New Testament as a book of rules to be used for the good of others .
I think what we need is no religions at all instead a world council that has a book of rules to benefit all mankind .That is never going to happen thought..
I don't think it has to be either or does it ? your idea is great and I hope will happen one day but around the world we don't need to stop believing to do it.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 08:47 PM

The way I see it we are all individuals and in a free society there is freedom to live your life in any way you choose as long as you harm no other person and live within the law.
That includes following a religious belief if that is what you choose, a person can't say that another person is 'wrong' because they choose to live their life according to a particular religion because it's entirely their choice to do so in a free society and there is no wrong as long as you are within the law and causing no harm.
A person's religious beliefs should be theirs to follow or practice without having to defend or justify them.

When dreadful acts are committed in any connection with a religion, it's the interpretation and skewed thinking of individuals which is the problem not the religion.
Some people use religion to form 'tribes' and to carry out what is basically tribal warfare but they would find a thousand other reasons as the need to see themselves as superior and to gain power over others is what they are after.
That is a human failing where violence and aggression are the gods.
They are looking for the thrill of being in charge and in control and being feared and it has nothing to do with religion or the way of thinking of those who genuinely wish to connect with others in an act of worship.
Markey1
London

08-03-2015, 09:12 PM

No it was USA and Uk and various other countries most of the armies had representatives from all religions and many atheists too. I can't think of one Christian army unless you are thinking of the Salvation army and they tend to go in to give aid to people not to kill them.

You find that USA and British army is mainly Christians
Markey1
London

08-03-2015, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
The way I see it we are all individuals and in a free society there is freedom to live your life in any way you choose as long as you harm no other person and live within the law.
That includes following a religious belief if that is what you choose, a person can't say that another person is 'wrong' because they choose to live their life according to a particular religion because it's entirely their choice to do so in a free society and there is no wrong as long as you are within the law and causing no harm.
A person's religious beliefs should be theirs to follow or practice without having to defend or justify them.

When dreadful acts are committed in any connection with a religion, it's the interpretation and skewed thinking of individuals which is the problem not the religion.
Some people use religion to form 'tribes' and to carry out what is basically tribal warfare but they would find a thousand other reasons as the need to see themselves as superior and to gain power over others is what they are after.
That is a human failing where violence and aggression are the gods.
They are looking for the thrill of being in charge and in control and being feared and it has nothing to do with religion or the way of thinking of those who genuinely wish to connect with others in an act of worship.

Totally agree to what you say Anita , very good post , but the question I can't find a answer too , why is it mainly muslim countrys gays are treated with death and woman are second class citizens , you don't see this in mass by other religions , so it got to something in their religion to think like this ,

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top