Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 02:47 PM

Re: 20 MPH speed limit

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Who the hell takes notice of speed signs anyway? Certainly not the idiots who drive through my village its 30 MPH but you want to see the idiots come flying through chatting away on their mobiles. If i had my way i would ban for life anyone caught speeding and sell their car for charity aid. And if they weren't happy then tough these drivers know the speed limit and should stick to it.
Rollocks to speed limits, teach people to drive and take those off the road who can't.
Nearly wiped off the road twice on Monday in the space of 20 seconds by drivers hesitating, drivers lacking confidence and driving as a result too slow.
Ban slow drivers as they are the pit's and the problem.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I don't understand some of the attitudes on this thread...I thought that it had been proved time and time again that the difference between causing a fatality and an injury to the person/ child who's been hit corresponds to the difference between the driver's speed of 30mph and 20mph.

If this is so then surely it's a no brainer
The idea is to not hit anybody in the first place, crap drivers hit people, good drivers are not inclined to hit anybody. Speed is a learned driving experience, not a sign on a pole, sometimes 30mph is too fast, a good driver knows that and he also knows when it ain't
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
The idea is to not hit anybody in the first place, crap drivers hit people, good drivers are not inclined to hit anybody. Speed is a learned driving experience, not a sign on a pole, sometimes 30mph is too fast, a good driver knows that and he also knows when it ain't
The voice of common sense DofE ... Well said !
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
The idea is to not hit anybody in the first place, crap drivers hit people, good drivers are not inclined to hit anybody...
Ah, but that's always assuming the driver is a good one and the kiddie is clever enough to know not to run into the road or try to cross the road, and the pet cat has an immense store of common sense.

Unfortunately it's a fairly known fact that on our roads in busy built up residential areas sometimes things don't always go according to plan.

So...a driver might not see the child for some unforseen reason, poor visibility perhaps, or a parked car obscuring his vision, and the child might or might not run across the road by some chance, or a cat... but if this accident DID happen then at 20mph the accident will result in an injury rather than a fatality.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Ah, but that's always assuming the driver is a good one and the kiddie is clever enough to know not to run into the road or try to cross the road, and the pet cat has an immense store of common sense.

Unfortunately it's a fairly known fact that on our roads in busy built up residential areas sometimes things don't always go according to plan.

So...a driver might not see the child for some unforseen reason, poor visibility perhaps, or a parked car obscuring his vision, and the child might or might not run across the road by some chance, or a cat... but if this accident DID happen then at 20mph the accident will be an injury rather than a fatality.
Very well said ruthio, I don't go around breaking speed limits they are there for everyone's safety and they are the maximum not the minimum so I slow down when necessary.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 06:07 PM

What about a child that runs into the road between parked cars and damages a car, oh it is still the drivers fault?I don't think so, the parents are the ones who should be prosecuted for failing to protect their kids properly.

Years ago I actually had someone walk into the rear side of my car, no damage and no one was hurt but it was the pedestrians fault.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 06:57 PM

Lots of times I've been overtaken by impatient drivers and even bicycles in the 20mph zones. Also how am I supposed to see anyone darting out from between cars if I'm watching the speedo in case I get fined?
Another thing is, kids get used to cars going slowly and don't realise they can't dawdle across the road where the traffic is going faster.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 07:00 PM

When in the forces, I was driving a 3 tonner truck. I was returning from one of the many sub depots.
It was a country lane and a school bus was parked on the opposite road to the way I was traveling.
I naturally slowed down. I was about 50 yards from it when a child ran across the road. Natural instinct took over as I applied the brakes. A woman was waving frantically on my side of the road. Yes you guessed it, a kid ran across into my path. I think I maybe just touched him, but shock took over.
As he lay in the road he was crying.
I was carrying some troops and the NCO that was in the passengers seat ordered a couple of the troops to run ahead and inform the MT sergeant.
An ambulance was called. When the thick MT sergeant arrived, he asked me."Have you filled out the FMT3"?
Pirat; I thought, and said, "I have just knocked over a kid, the FMT3 is my last worry,"
The child was OK and I had the mother as witness, so no action was taken towards me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 07:03 PM

Kids should be put on leads when leaving school gates ,that would cut down accident rates, lets make a law for it
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 07:09 PM

20 mph is plenty fast enough to go past a school .
Children run out so quickly, and its not that much slower for a short distance.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top