Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 07:24 PM

Re: 20 MPH speed limit

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I don't understand some of the attitudes on this thread...I thought that it had been proved time and time again that the difference between causing a fatality and an injury to the person/ child who's been hit corresponds to the difference between the driver's speed of 30mph and 20mph.

If this is so then surely it's a no brainer
Well said.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 07:36 PM

There's a secondary school in the local town where the kids ride those scooters straight out of the gates and across the roads weaving in and out of cars. Perhaps the parents need to take responsibility to teach them road sense.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 07:57 PM

Ah, but that's always assuming the driver is a good one and the kiddie is clever enough to know not to run into the road or try to cross the road, and the pet cat has an immense store of common sense.

Unfortunately it's a fairly known fact that on our roads in busy built up residential areas sometimes things don't always go according to plan.

So...a driver might not see the child for some unforseen reason, poor visibility perhaps, or a parked car obscuring his vision, and the child might or might not run across the road by some chance, or a cat... but if this accident DID happen then at 20mph the accident will result in an injury rather than a fatality.
And if the driver was concentrating on his driving 100% and not being constantly distracted by looking down at his speedo and signs , chances are he would not hit anybody.

Larger cars, in particular automatics are programmed to engage the most economic speed for fuel input, torque and gear selection, they are not designed for a driver to have his foot forever on and off the brake to adjust speed and worse the driver does not need the distraction.....does that make sense
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
There's a secondary school in the local town where the kids ride those scooters straight out of the gates and across the roads weaving in and out of cars. Perhaps the parents need to take responsibility to teach them road sense.
How do you think they get the" Cats Eyes" along the roads?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
And if the driver was concentrating on his driving 100% and not being constantly distracted by looking down at his speedo and signs , chances are he would not hit anybody.

Larger cars, in particular automatics are programmed to engage the most economic speed for fuel input, torque and gear selection, they are not designed for a driver to have his foot forever on and off the brake to adjust speed and worse the driver does not need the distraction.....does that make sense
No it doesn't. Not one tiny bit.

In my opinion automatic speed, fuel input, torque, gear selection and the price of eggs all come a very poor second place next to someone's life.

As for distractions, any nubile woman with a nice pair if tits would do the job where you're concerned
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 08:33 PM

I don't understand some of the attitudes on this thread...I thought that it had been proved time and time again that the difference between causing a fatality and an injury to the person/ child who's been hit corresponds to the difference between the driver's speed of 30mph and 20mph.

If this is so then surely it's a no brainer
You beat me to it!
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 08:43 PM

It's not just near schools round here, all estate and side roads have a 20mph speed limit.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

10-12-2015, 08:47 PM

No it doesn't. Not one tiny bit.

In my opinion automatic speed, fuel input, torque, gear selection and the price of eggs all come a very poor second place next to someone's life.

As for distractions, any nubile woman with a nice pair if tits would do the job where you're concerned
Goodness how have I managed to drive for 59 years up to 1.5 million miles with zero claims, zero accidents plus zero road traffic offences ,including speeding and zero parking tickets.

The answer is not speed as I drive fast, it is observation, observation and observation .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 08:56 PM

Same old crazy nonsense concerning speed limits. I remember years ago the Government/Police TV campaign "Speed Kills!". It enraged me at the time and still does to some extent. How much money was wasted on that silly campaign.

In a nutshell that campaign basically said

"It's not right to hit a child at 50mph, be sure to hit them at 30mph instead, that's ok!"

Utterly stupid.

The bottom line is that it is not acceptable for any child to be hit by a car at any speed. Therefore all the available money needs to be spent on ways to stop kids putting themselves in front of cars. Car speed is utterly irrelevant to this problem.

The money needs to be spent on railings, crossings, foot bridges, subways, child education, adult education and other innovative solutions.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2015, 10:14 PM

But if a child is hit at 20 they are more likely to survive so speed kills is appropriate.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top