Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Re: 18yr old in Gaol

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
No comment - is not answering a single 'question' is it
Would you alter the law?
Remove the right to 'no comment'
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Would you alter the law?
Remove the right to 'no comment'
I would - they should have to answer questions, why not ?
I'm being serious here not flippant, so why am I wrong to feel that way ......
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 03:02 PM

Hi

We have already altered the law on refusing to answer in a couple of important areas.

The first one is Hostile Witnesses.

The second one is widely used, but not many people have heard about it.

Where Public Safety is at imminent risk, it is an offence not to answer, however if you do answer, the answers you give cannot be used against you in a Court of Law.

Saving lives is more important than prosecuting someone.

The use of this accounts for some of the weird decisions the Press sometimes criticise, but it is no great hassle.

Job done, lives saved and you can always get them next time.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
But isn't answering "no comment" considered a response .... thereby an answer? What about, "I don't know" - "Not sure" - "Couldn't say" - "As far as I know" ?
I doubt if any of those replies would have affected their decision not to allow bail in such cases.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 04:52 PM

I would - they should have to answer questions, why not ?
I'm being serious here not flippant, so why am I wrong to feel that way ......
"No comment" is a response to any question. You feel it isn't an answer to any question. Alright. But the issue here is that SHE DIDN'T ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS. I guess, if you want to be a XXXXX, you could say that having an attorney answer all the questions could still be considered a crime if "SHE" didn't answer them. Having the right to "no comment" was created for a reason. A Democratic reason. Remove such rights and we can forget about calling ourselves Democratic nations.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
I doubt if any of those replies would have affected their decision not to allow bail in such cases.
Absolutely not.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

06-02-2016, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
..... it is an offence not to answer, however if you do answer, the answers you give cannot be used against you in a Court of Law.
If that is true then you'd have to record everything in order to know what it is you said that cannot be used in a court of law. And then, if it is brought up during proceedings anyway you'd have to produce the recording and play it, thus airing the passage that cannot be uttered .... TWICE! Then, having heard it twice prosecutors and jury will have to dismiss it from their minds. Not an easy task, I don't think.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 05:06 PM

My head hurts now ..................and I've got 'no comment'
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

06-02-2016, 05:11 PM

My head hurts now ..................
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
If that is true then you'd have to record everything in order to know what it is you said that cannot be used in a court of law. And then, if it is brought up during proceedings anyway you'd have to produce the recording and play it, thus airing the passage that cannot be uttered .... TWICE! Then, having heard it twice prosecutors and jury will have to dismiss it from their minds. Not an easy task, I don't think.
Hi

I don't know how you do things in Sweden, but here in the UK all such interviews are recorded digitally, the person being interviewed takes a copy of the recording with them at the end of such an interview.

As none of what has been said can be used in evidence the incident never gets to Court, so no problems for either side.

It is a pragmatic solution, saving lives is more important than taking a prosecution.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top