Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 09:49 AM

Re: 11 +

I remember taking the 11+ and it was described by our teachers as a little test to see how we were progressing. There was no pressure and I seem to remember everyone passed easily. Maybe the problem is the pressure put on children these days by parents and teachers.

Obviously I don't know how difficult it is now but in my day, it wasn't rocket science.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I remember taking the 11+ and it was described by our teachers as a little test to see how we were progressing. There was no pressure and I seem to remember everyone passed easily. Maybe the problem is the pressure put on children these days by parents and teachers.

Obviously I don't know how difficult it is now but in my day, it wasn't rocket science.
Very different experience for me LD. However i failed mine, so had to spend the rest of life working for a living.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Thought that was done away with many years ago.
So did I. I failed, it was a scary experience.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 11:05 AM

Lots of pressure when I did it and when our 3 who did it more recently. We tried not to pile on the pressure here but kids pressure themselves I think.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 11:56 AM

I was never any good at exams.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 12:10 PM

That's why GCSEs were better IMO as a lot of course work counted toward grades too.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 12:47 PM

Thanks Meg.
Just a quite update, I had her on the phone again this morning and she is feeling more cheerful. So that has cheered me up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 12:06 AM

Although over 50 years ago, I remember ours. Most of us passed, but I distinctly remember one girl at the back of the class who burst into tears, obviously because she had failed.
The teacher (a woman, although that doesn't matter) had no sympathy for her. Her less than sympathetic response to the flood of tears was that she should have worked harder, or words to that effect.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 01:01 AM

There are a few grammar schools about but they are highly subscribed with many students competing for each place,
So its not a question of passing the 11+ anymore they schools require lots more things in order to make a selection .
My grandson is a gifted child and my DIL wants him to go to a grammar school but in her area on average 23 children compete for each place.
A church grammar school also requires church attendance ( backed up with proof from the officiating clergy )
Children who have other talents will be given preference.
So its not easy to get into these schools and its no surprise their students do well as they are all above averagely intelligent children to start with.
But the bottom line is that students who want to do well will do well in most schools- what holds children back IMO is the disruptive nature of other children in the class which detracts from the teachers attention and teaching time.
That is why those who can afford it send their children to private schools . Classes are smaller and the schools don't hesitate to exclude disruptive influences There is then the social cache of a private school - your child wont be mixing with the rougher elements of the hoi polloi.
As most people cannot afford the exorbitant fees of a private education and cant get into a grammar most children have to take their chance with the comprehensive system and such is the competition for good ones that houses in their catchment areas cost more as parents who can afford to do so move to these areas.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
There are a few grammar schools about but they are highly subscribed with many students competing for each place,
So its not a question of passing the 11+ anymore they schools require lots more things in order to make a selection .
My grandson is a gifted child and my DIL wants him to go to a grammar school but in her area on average 23 children compete for each place.
A church grammar school also requires church attendance ( backed up with proof from the officiating clergy )
Children who have other talents will be given preference.
So its not easy to get into these schools and its no surprise their students do well as they are all above averagely intelligent children to start with.
But the bottom line is that students who want to do well will do well in most schools- what holds children back IMO is the disruptive nature of other children in the class which detracts from the teachers attention and teaching time.
That is why those who can afford it send their children to private schools . Classes are smaller and the schools don't hesitate to exclude disruptive influences There is then the social cache of a private school - your child wont be mixing with the rougher elements of the hoi polloi.
As most people cannot afford the exorbitant fees of a private education and cant get into a grammar most children have to take their chance with the comprehensive system and such is the competition for good ones that houses in their catchment areas cost more as parents who can afford to do so move to these areas.
An excellent post, Muddy. I agree with every word.

Education in Britain went down the toilet when some bright spark (I wonder of which political party!) decided that the best way to make everybody equal was to mix up all social strata, and that applied not only to schools but also to housing. All they achieved, of course, was for the dregs of society to drag down to their own level the decent people of the country - except for those who could afford private education and to live a million miles away from any 'rough areas'.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top