Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 03:33 PM

Re: Cruising off the Agenda?

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I can understand that I used to feel the same way. However as the saying goes "don't knock it until you tried it"

I was terrfied of being on a vast ocean but the only way to see anything reasonably cheaply is with a cruise.
My solution was go on a river cruise, at least the shore was close by just in case. So it was a trip on the River Nile and had a fantastic time.
Fom then on cruises held no fear for me and been on several.
I suppose you have a fear of flying as well ? many people do until they have tried it .

Also I don't suppose you like staying in a hotel as that is the same as on a cruise ship but far worse? In a hotel and it is raining you are stuck in a lounge with nothing to do. Completely different from a cruise where there is always some sort of entertainment or talks or demonstrations/dances to see/take part in.
I do not fear cruising or flying and only flew when & where my employer (the state) sent me OHMS. Its the people I rubbed shoulders aboard etc with that I found a 100% turn-off. Now aboard an RAF flight, that was a totally different matter and very interesting people wise :thumbup:
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
If I recall it was an adventure sailing boat forkids.

there was a documentary on cruise ships and the spread of the virus and the ship owners. Their reluctance to cancel cruises and greed are blamed for the rapid spread of COVID.

You can not be serious Reg.....
There are more passengers flowing from country to country in one hour than all the cruise ship passengers in a whole year!
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

You can not be serious Reg.....
There are more passengers flowing from country to country in one hour than all the cruise ship passengers in a whole year!
The ship owners refused to act and therefore infected people were still visiting different ports and countries.

Dont you recall ships being refused entry long before any lockdowns?

There are still many thousands of people stranded on board ships all over the world.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 08:31 PM

The ship owners refused to act and therefore infected people were still visiting different ports and countries.

Dont you recall ships being refused entry long before any lockdowns?

There are still many thousands of people stranded on board ships all over the world.
The people stranded on some cruise lines (mainly American) are all crew members. And there are no reports of covid infections of the crews.

It's a pity flights weren't targeted as the main cause of the spread of covid until it was too late. The spread of the virus from cruise passengers would have been very low except down under where the frequency of cruise ships was high and most of the passengers had been flown out to meet the ships.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The people stranded on some cruise lines (mainly American) are all crew members. And there are no reports of covid infections of the crews.

It's a pity flights weren't targeted as the main cause of the spread of covid until it was too late. The spread of the virus from cruise passengers would have been very low except down under where the frequency of cruise ships was high and most of the passengers had been flown out to meet the ships.
Yes you are right OGF, Flights were the main cause of covid spread
due to the speed of travel, which does not give enough time for
symptoms to appear or be felt before the completion of the trip?
So people were arriving home from infected areas without having
a clue that they were infected?
The fly /cruise format changed that, and cruising became almost
as bad as flying as far as covid spread was concerned??
So it seems we have consensus that excessive travelling comes
with high risks to our society nowadays due to our modern need
for speed and the numbers involved due to high populations ??

Donkeyman! 😷😷😷
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 10:07 PM

If I recall it was an adventure sailing boat forkids.

there was a documentary on cruise ships and the spread of the virus and the ship owners. Their reluctance to cancel cruises and greed are blamed for the rapid spread of COVID.
That's a failure of Government; cruise ships in Australian waters were told in March to unload passengers, bugger off and don't come back until we say which at the moment looks like it won't be until next year at the earliest.

Unfortunately another government department failure led to the Ruby Princess debacle but apart from that and a minor scuffle in WA they went and haven't been back.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top