Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 04:59 PM

Re: how times have changed

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Certainly could buy a flight without an agent! Most airports had ticket desks where flights could be booked and tickets bought. In 1975 BA even introduced the "turn up and fly" shuttle service between Belfast and Glasgow / Edinburgh to and from LHR. You could even pay on the plane! I think the fare was about £25!

Good days before the Islamic terrorists prevented such freedoms.
Originally Posted by reg ->
Most airlines/airports employed ticket agencies.....or bucket shops as they were known and they were positioned at most airports at the departure hall.
.... ticket agencies or otherwise at the airport (?). Outside the airport it was ticket agencies only, calling themselves Travel Agents.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 05:07 PM

I was born & raised on a farm. We would go swimming in the Severn and have picnics on hot days. We would have days out at Weston Super Mare, ice creams and donkey rides. We would go away for a week or so to my uncle's farm in Cornwall. My school head had a holiday home in Aberystwyth, and held boot-camp-type weeks away for anyone interested.
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
.... ticket agencies or otherwise at the airport (?). Outside the airport it was ticket agencies only, calling themselves Travel Agents.
I was/am in agreement with you.

I recall my parents booking through high st agents.

Then came the book it shops that were selling last minute seats for the airlines which were still agents, imho.

I recall people waiting to see if people didn't arrive on time and waiting to buy the seats.....stand-by I think they called it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top