Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 07:36 PM

Re: Greetings!

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Oh my word, I wondered if you were Afrikaans with the username ‘Besoeker’ ! I even checked your profile out.
The penny has dropped it now it makes sense.
Did you work on Draglines?
No, not draglines. Mostly it was gold mines around Johannesburg but a few near Cape Town. Actually, my first stint was at Mondi Valley. I think it was about 1970.

We Scots are everywhere..............
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
No, not draglines. Mostly it was gold mines around Johannesburg but a few near Cape Town. Actually, my first stint was at Mondi Valley. I think it was about 1970.

We Scots are everywhere..............
Ok, how awesome. So you frequented apartheid SA. Your thoughts? 1970, I was still in mum’s womb

By the way, I think you are super clever with the electrical engineering. I was just teasing in my comment earlier. God blessed me with other skills namely, the law and financial stuff but you guys rock.
Let me ask you a question- can you make electricity in the absence of air/oxygen? Don’t laugh it’s a honest question?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 08:35 PM

Tessa, as luck would have it, I am in the Transvaal
Have you watched the series Ancient Aliens?
Verwoerburg, was where I was. Loved it!
Yes, I'm an Ancient Aliens addict! So much of it makes sense!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 08:36 PM

Ok, how awesome. So you frequented apartheid SA. Your thoughts? 1970, I was still in mum’s womb

By the way, I think you are super clever with the electrical engineering. I was just teasing in my comment earlier. God blessed me with other skills namely, the law and financial stuff but you guys rock.
Let me ask you a question- can you make electricity in the absence of air/oxygen? Don’t laugh it’s a honest question?
Super I'm not but I appreciate asking some things here and there. The electricity is generally through various conductors like copper or aluminium. Air is generally a very poor conductor.

More things. Apartheid was an experience for me., very much so. I can't easily explain. Whites, Asians, and Blacks. Racially extreme. And harsh, particularly black on black. That, I found, disturbing.

A little tale. The hierarchy was strict. I gave instructions. My electrician did the electrical work. The boy cleaned the tools. One day, Bobby my electrician had to leave for work. My boy was going out in the lashing rain. I let him off at his shanty - another surprise. Next day I was given a serious bollicking. Just for being nice......

Enough.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2020, 11:02 PM

Super I'm not but I appreciate asking some things here and there. The electricity is generally through various conductors like copper or aluminium. Air is generally a very poor conductor.

More things. Apartheid was an experience for me., very much so. I can't easily explain. Whites, Asians, and Blacks. Racially extreme. And harsh, particularly black on black. That, I found, disturbing.

A little tale. The hierarchy was strict. I gave instructions. My electrician did the electrical work. The boy cleaned the tools. One day, Bobby my electrician had to leave for work. My boy was going out in the lashing rain. I let him off at his shanty - another surprise. Next day I was given a serious bollicking. Just for being nice......

Enough.
Thanks for your reply.
Interesting stories from SA and experiences. That’s what makes us who we are. Be glad to have lived so many experiences as not everyone is so privileged. Take care
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

23-10-2020, 07:53 AM

Thanks for your reply.
Interesting stories from SA and experiences. That’s what makes us who we are. Be glad to have lived so many experiences as not everyone is so privileged. Take care
Yes, thank you. Experiences as you say and not everyone the chances to take that. Not all of it rosey I might add, but all the better for the tapestry of life.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

23-10-2020, 02:59 PM

Yes, thank you. Experiences as you say and not everyone the chances to take that. Not all of it rosey I might add, but all the better for the tapestry of life.
The tapestry of life. A nice way of putting it but then again isn’t life all about regrets - I know mine is.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Maybe ‘War and Peace’ ....... 1225 pages, a challenge for anyone!
Well done Mags. I read it too just because I was up for a challenge but really enjoyed it. I have to admit that I skipped over bits of the war sections as they went on for far too long but the main story was excellent. I'm not sure how long it took to read but it was on my Kindle so at least it wasn't too heavy to hold.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 06:58 PM

Hi Minx and welcome, hope you enjoy your time on Over50sForum.

For some reason or other I don't read much these days, mostly spending my time online.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

23-10-2020, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Hi Minx and welcome, hope you enjoy your time on Over50sForum.

For some reason or other I don't read much these days, mostly spending my time online.
Thank you Barry. Reading online definitely counts!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top