Join for free
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 08:53 PM

Re: Vitamin D Defficiency and Mobility Issues in Old People

LMAO

I see new poster Potank has bumped an old thread, not sure why but the aftermath of posts is quite funny. What's ironic is they all stem from a post from Pesta which like so many of AnnieS's posts begin from a wholy made up statement about things I have said, or in this case haven't said. There must be some psychological condition that makes people debate in that way, might be worth following up at some point.

So notably Pesta's rant (seems a fair choice of word) begins with the statement:

"I despair that you assume it's just caused by lack of sunlight. "

She's referring to lack of Vit D and if we look back, at no point did I say a lack of Vit D was the result of a lack of sunlight.

What I posted in summary was:

1) Sunlight is great for us, super healthy
2) Sunlight gives us Vit D and creates Melanin
3) Sun creams are not healthy for your skin
4) Being natural, taking natural forms of Vit D is much better than supplements, potions and pills

I stand by every one of those statements.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 08:59 PM

Optimum VitD level should be ...

The Vitamin D Council places the ideal level between 40 and 80 ng/mL with levels below 20 ng/mL as deficient. ... According to most standards, sufficient values for vitamin D are between 30 and 60 ng/mL.

Mines apparently 27... I'll mention it to GP next week and see what she says.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:03 PM

At realist....

Cherry picking your own post and you stand by this nonsense?
The "establishment" and largely fraudulent Big Pharma health industry would have you stay out of the sun. They WANT YOU SICK ! How do they get you to stop doing THE most natural thing that any human can do (get in the sunshine)? By doing what they ALWAYS do, perpetrate a huge Campaign of Fear.
Of course you are going to tell us who the “establishment “ is right? And you have evidence that your bogey men, the “Big Pharma” want us to stay out of the sun also?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Cherry picking your own post
Nope just defending it from a poster claiming it contains statements that patently aren't there. Reasonable to do so.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Nope just defending it from a poster claiming it contains statements that patently aren't there. Reasonable to do so.
Somewhat similar to your own wild statements eh?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 09:22 PM

My twopennorth....firstly, leave the new member alone. Who are you to tell him he cannot bump a thread? He's merely looking around the forum, just as we advise people to when they join.

Vitamin D3 is the vitamin you need for a sunshine substitute, regular vit D is a general one for the bones etc.
As a night worker I take D3 each day. It's the only vitamin I "waste" money on. I've seen too many colleages who can't get their sleeping patterns right over the years who get crinkly skin and bloodshot eyes because they go to bed too late in the morning and sleep through any sunshine we might get. I do not wish to experience their symptoms.

Sorry Realist, I've put up with all your spouting but now I'm tired of it also; you're now outstaying your welcome with your smug and largely unfounded twaddle. If Google and Wikipedia are your bibles, please remember that we can search them too without turning into some kind of Human Oracle. How arrogant and condescending you are to think you are the font of all wisdom and that you constantly need to educate us all as if the rest of us on here are idiots.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 10:36 PM

Well...?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Excessive exposure to sunshine gave me skin cancer.
Me too, a very fair skin and lots of childhood sunburn...and that is why I'm investigating my level.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 11:15 PM

We don't get enough sun here in the winter to get enough vitamin D so how are the big pharma companies arranging for that to happen ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

27-11-2018, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Excessive exposure to sunshine gave me skin cancer.
Yes, important not expose yourself to sunshine excessively, not a good idea.

Same holds for most things in life. In fact if you drink too much water you can kill yourself !

However sunlight is super healthy for us and we should generally aim to get enough of it unless we have some kind of condition that prevents it.

Here's some info from WebMD:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...-929/vitamin-d

"Sun exposure is an easy, reliable way for most people to get vitamin D. Exposure of the hands, face, arms, and legs to sunlight 2-3 times a week for about one-fourth of the time it would take to develop a mild sunburn will cause the skin to produce enough vitamin D. The necessary exposure time varies with age, skin type, season, time of day, etc. Just 6 days of casual sunlight exposure without sunscreen can make up for 49 days of no sunlight exposure. Body fat acts like a kind of storage battery for vitamin D. During periods of sunlight, vitamin D is stored in fat and then released when sunlight is gone."

That 6 to 49 days ratio is interesting imo. A little sunshine goes a long way !

Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top