Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 10:30 AM

Would you tell?

For the second time in a few days I have had to go to the Sorting Office and pay £2 to collect Christmas Cards posted without stamps.

The 'grinch' behind the counter said he would not have bothered collecting them!

Would you tell the senders about it? It may not have been their fault - stamps do sometimes fall off.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Re: Would you tell?

No I wouldn't. I've had to pay excess postage / tax on Birthday presents received from the US but I'd never mention it to friends who posted it. I think I had to pay about £35 or so. People may be in a hurry and have lots of cards so don't realise that one or two have stamps missing.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
No I wouldn't. I've had to pay excess postage / tax on Birthday presents received from the US but I'd never mention it to friends who posted it. I think I had to pay about £35 or so. People may be in a hurry and have lots of cards so don't realise that one or two have stamps missing.

I too have had to pay import duty on presents to me from America. So my friend & I have decided, sadly, no more presents across the pond, it isn't worth the hassle. Both our customs & excise are greedy money grabbers. Yes, we did discuss the problem, my friend & I.
I send to other countries & receive with no problems.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Pay to collect cards without stamps ..... ?

I wouldn't spare the time or money .....

So I wouldn't have to "tell" anyone .....
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 01:33 PM

I think I'd mention it to them in a jokey sort of way - but how?

Hmmmmm
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 01:56 PM

I don't receive cards from anwhere other than the UK and certainly the type of stamps I buy are self adhesive , no more licking , so they can't possibly fall off .
ST, I wouldn't find it difficult to explain at all that I'd had to go to the Sorting Office as they wouldn't deliver because the envelope didn't have any stamps on it .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 03:29 PM

The trouble is you don't know what the item is until you pay for it. It could have a tenner in it!
My Auntie sent me a load of magazine cuttings once, didn't put a stamp on, cost me a couple of pounds to get it!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
The trouble is you don't know what the item is until you pay for it. It could have a tenner in it!
My Auntie sent me a load of magazine cuttings once, didn't put a stamp on, cost me a couple of pounds to get it!
Not a problem with abroad as they all have customs stickers on them. If the sorting office will let you look at it before you hand over the cash that is.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 04:12 PM

No I wouldn't mention it. I have had this happen to me and would not have wished to cause embarrassment to the sender who on every occasion was a family member.

I assumed the stamp fell off.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 04:24 PM

Fortunately it has never happened to me but if it had, no, I wouldn’t mention it to the sender, whoever it was.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top