Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 03:00 AM

BISCUITS Vs. COOKIES

Confused. In the U.S. we call chocolate chip cookies... cookies. The same applies to all other types, like, for example: sugar cookies, vanilla cookies, raison cookies, gingerbread cookies, etc etc.

On the other hand if we make a biscuit, made with flour, baking powder, dash of salt, bit of sugar, solid veg shortening and buttermilk... a BISCUIT. This is lightly rolled out and cut into rounds. These are baked at a very high temp until it rises from aprox 1.6 cm to about 3 -4 cm. and the tops turn a medium golden brown. The result is a type of "quick bread". This is often served for breakfast with a sausage gravy poured over the top.

Apparently the reverse is true in the UK. What we call cookies you lot call a biscuit.

So, what do you call a biscuit ? Or do you even make a biscuit ?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 06:34 AM

Re: BISCUITS Vs. COOKIES

In Australia we call them scones - pronounced.."Sconn"..The same in the UK I think? They are a sweet treat sometimes cut in half and filled with jam and cream and eaten at high tea. That's in the height of the afternoon, not with a joint. (usually)
meeha
New Member!
USA
meeha is female 

16-01-2020, 07:16 AM

A cracker sometimes?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 09:55 AM

Nothing like a cracker. See below.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	basic-buttermilk-scones-75490-1.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	11439  
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 10:19 AM

Ok, I understand it now. The scones, while they look like biscuits, have very much more sugar and are made with cream, not milk.
The biscuits made in the U.S. are much more of a bread, and not at all sweet. The scones in the U.K. seem to be almost a pastry.
But, if made in round shapes, they do look identical.
Thanks all
keezoy
Australia

16-01-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Ok, I understand it now. The scones, while they look like biscuits, have very much more sugar and are made with cream, not milk.
The biscuits made in the U.S. are much more of a bread, and not at all sweet. The scones in the U.K. seem to be almost a pastry.
Thanks all
Yep and they are to die for.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:05 PM

Biscuit

Scone

Cookie
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:16 PM

I would say 'Cookies' is an Americanism for softish biscuits.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I would say 'Cookies' is an Americanism for softish biscuits.
I agree, chewy and they sell them in petrol stations.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Thanks all
Not correct , scones are often made with buttermilk or yoghurt to make them lighter and can be savoury with no sugar at all.
I make scones with cheese and chives and I put hardly any sugar in sweet scones, they don't need it when served with Jam,
These are cheese scones on the left of my picture

https://www.over50sforum.com/attachm...1&d=1579177262

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	11444  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top