Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 06:47 PM

Re: Brown bin charges voted in

We have paid for this service for the last three years, and at £25 a year I think it's a real bargain. We compost quite a lot from the garden, but for grass clippings and such as prunings of thorny plants the brown bin is indispensible.

It seems quite fair to me that the council levy this charge because not everyone has a garden and produces this type of waste, and why anyone should expect all ratepayers to chip in when they don't use this service beats me... Regarding the fly tipping argument, it is surely just as easy to take your waste to the local council tip as to take it out into the country to a lay-by or farmer's field....
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 06:54 PM

We have Black bin for general rubbish, Brown bin for Garden Waste, Green Slop Box for leftover food of your plate, White Sack for tins etc. and a Box for bottles, as everyone else has said, if they make us pay, then I will tip the whole lot in the black bin.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 07:07 PM

We must be very fortunate living in my part of the world, we pay for none of the Bins being emptied except the same way as everyone does RATES !
What they do is look in your bin and you so much as add something by mistake,your bin gets left!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
We have paid for this service for the last three years, and at £25 a year I think it's a real bargain. We compost quite a lot from the garden, but for grass clippings and such as prunings of thorny plants the brown bin is indispensible.

It seems quite fair to me that the council levy this charge because not everyone has a garden and produces this type of waste, and why anyone should expect all ratepayers to chip in when they don't use this service beats me... Regarding the fly tipping argument, it is surely just as easy to take your waste to the local council tip as to take it out into the country to a lay-by or farmer's field....
If everyone only paid for services they use the council tax would be in chaos. I haven't any schoolchildren but some of what I pay goes towards education.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:19 AM

An annual fee of £25 sounds excellent value.

We are charged £45 or £50 for the garden waste bin.
I'm not driving, so it's worth paying to get my prunings etc removed.

We are allowed to have bonfires here and, now that I have witnessed how the pyromaniac tackles this ... an 'Apocalypse Now' approach ... I feel far more confident that any future bonfires I might be attempted to undertake, will be 'substantial'
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:33 AM

[QUOTE=Rachel;711921]An annual fee of £25 sounds excellent value.

We are charged £45 or £50 for the garden waste bin.
I'm not driving, so it's worth paying to get my prunings etc removed.

Our charges for garden waste are £25 every 6 months.
Not sure if it's slightly cheaper if you pay for 12 months in advance though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
If you did that around here your bin would not be emptied.

Same here Wrinkly. Every so often 'inspectors' come creeping round checking bin contents!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Our charges for garden waste are £25 every 6 months.
Not sure if it's slightly cheaper if you pay for 12 months in advance though.
That's useful, a six monthly charge gives you an option.

Shhhhh ... don't tell anyone but I currently have 2 bins !
They told me I hadn't paid, took my bin away and then brought it back ... and another !

I must check my bank statements again
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
If everyone only paid for services they use the council tax would be in chaos. I haven't any schoolchildren but some of what I pay goes towards education.
Ah but you did go to school once didn't you..
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 08:25 AM

I pay yearly for my garden waste bin. Sometimes I think I won't have it any more but then other times, as am by myself, it comes in so useful.
So if I have to pay for it I have to pay for it.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top