Join for free
Page 692 of 1676 « First < 192 592 642 682 690 691 692 693 694 702 742 792 1192 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:35 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

What time is it????

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
What time is it????

what now or then??
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:43 AM

Good Night possums xxxx
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:44 AM

goodnight maryellen!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

27-05-2018, 12:46 AM

goodnight Jem - see the Lion Queen is too??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

27-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Mr Dear RJ - just been watching sunday afternoon classics here and they did a bio [don't you just hate that term?] on John Bell - the man who created the Bell Shakespeare Co in OZ and brought Shakespeare to the masses over here. He spent 5 yrs at the Royal Shakespeare Co in UK and retired recently - the last clip in the bio was of course he doing the piece you recently posted on the seven ages of man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B...tralian_actor)
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Strange that Gummy, in your wikipedia clip it says John Bell was born in Newcastle, New South Wales, and then if you look up John Bell Australian actor you get this.

John Anthony Bell, AO, OBE is an Australian actor, theatre director and theatre manager. He has been a major influence on the development of Australian theatre in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. Wikipedia

Born: November 1, 1940 (age 77*years), Paisley, United Kingdom

Spouse: Anna Volska
Children: Lucy Bell, Hilary Bell
Books: The time of my life, On Shakespeare, John Bell: The Time of My Life, Alternative Theatre
Albums: An Evening With John Bell at the University of Sydney

So the question is, is he British or Australian?

Actor Richard Todd was a Dublin man, norra lorra people know that, and that cock of the cockneys Sidney James was a South African, I was very surprised to find that out, you can change your name but can’t change where you are born.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

27-05-2018, 12:13 PM

well all I can say Jem is the wikipedia facility is created by peoples like wot U and I iz and we can add to it - so I suppose sometimes the info gets jumbled ? but heh you've got a sharp eye - watch out for Lion Queen she can be quite a devil I here!!

well all that I know laddie is that I was born in the Mas womb and she said that she was in da 'pool at da time but I can't be sure of dat!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

27-05-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Strange that Gummy, in your wikipedia clip it says John Bell was born in Newcastle, New South Wales, and then if you look up John Bell Australian actor you get this.

John Anthony Bell, AO, OBE is an Australian actor, theatre director and theatre manager. He has been a major influence on the development of Australian theatre in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. Wikipedia

Born: November 1, 1940 (age 77*years), Paisley, United Kingdom

Spouse: Anna Volska
Children: Lucy Bell, Hilary Bell
Books: The time of my life, On Shakespeare, John Bell: The Time of My Life, Alternative Theatre
Albums: An Evening With John Bell at the University of Sydney

So the question is, is he British or Australian?

Actor Richard Todd was a Dublin man, norra lorra people know that, and that cock of the cockneys Sidney James was a South African, I was very surprised to find that out, you can change your name but can’t change where you are born.
yes I tought ya'd bring up the birth certificate thingo but I've lost it see!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Re Doyle’s pub.
No Gummy Francis and Eddie were definitely brother and sister.
Here’s an old friend of mine, Harry Dee, a ballad singer with a voice on him like a corncrake, but that doesn’t bother him, we were discussing the finer points of traditional Irish music in Doyle’s when Phyllis took this picture, that’s her pint in the foreground, this was about the year 2001. As that great writer Flan O’Brien wrote in his comedy “The Brother” “A Dublinman treats his pint and his missus with complete indifference, unless one, or both, are knocked down in his presence"

Before you start slagging me shirt it was a present from Phyllis’s sister Maisie who brought it all the way home from Hawaii, she was there that night so I had to wear it and later I had to get on the stage, wiggle my ass and sing “Honolulu Baby” specially for her.

Here’s a little piece about Doyle’s, which was built in 1860 using some of the granite blocks left over from the beautiful St Peter’s Church just up the street from it, this extract is dated 2011, so many lovely pubs have closed down here since then, it’s a bloody shame.

“It gave its name to a famous Dublin landmark, now one of the city's best-known pubs, John Doyle's of Doyle's Corner in Phibsboro, is sending a shiver down the spines of city publicans by going on the market with a price tag of €850,000 -- an 80 per cent drop in the price it was sold for five years ago.
Doyle's was sold in 2006 for €4.2m, at a time when some local house prices were fetching €850,000
Two of Doyle's most famous patrons in the past were writer Brendan Behan and hangman Albert Pierrepoint who, on 'business' trips to Dublin in the Forties and Fifties, would enjoy a pre-execution double whiskey in the snug of the bar.
Ten years ago, when Doyle's was a thriving music venue, it made the national news headlines when it was reported that a noisy ghost was living on the second floor of the pub.
Alas, nowadays, the ghost has the empty second floor bar all to himself except for the occasional party”
(By Tom Pendeville, Sept.11, 2011)

Did you notice we had to import a hangman back then, nobody here would do the job. Behan wrote about Pierrepoint in his play “The Quarefella” I think there was a scene in the play where someone spots Pierrepoint in the pub an a scuffle breaks out, the hangman was lucky to get out alive, that could well be a fact, Mountjoy prison was just down the road from Doyle’s.
Now there's a lot of info crammed into one post, well someone has to balance out Spitty's word rationing, I'm off now for the day, see yis all later.

Page 692 of 1676 « First < 192 592 642 682 690 691 692 693 694 702 742 792 1192 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top