Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Re: The noise

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
What no local pubs.

My philosophy is... get work men in... get out for the day
Hear hear, best thing to do, either that or have a nice comfy shed to relax in, preferably way down the back garden.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 10:26 AM

Recently my friendly helpful neighbour had new floor tiles put on her hallway floor. When I went up for coffee yesterday she said that was one of the reasons for inviting me, to show me.

They looked beautiful, but then I asked, was that what was causing the terrible noise? She admitted yes, it had been horrendous and hadn't realised. She said it was when he was cutting them, and said had she known, she would have alerted us all first.

I couldn't believe how cutting floor tiles could have caused that noise: I thought the workman was installing a new bathroom!

It does look beautiful though, and I'm tempted to have mine done. They are large ceramic tiles, in a creamy colour.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 10:57 AM

Depends Jazzi on your building - they are so cold gal .....Brrrrrrr
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
What no local pubs.

My philosophy is... get work men in... get out for the day
Originally Posted by Jem ->
Hear hear, best thing to do, either that or have a nice comfy shed to relax in, preferably way down the back garden.
The last time I went out and left workman I came back to find diarrhoea all over the loo, cigarette ends all over the kitchen floor and they had also set fire to the kitchen wall (morons subcontracted by Magnet and Southern to fit a new kitchen). This was the last straw and I told them to get out of my house .

I told the manager I wouldn't have them in my house again.
They returned the next day unannounced to collect their tools and walked into my house without knocking .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The last time I went out and left workman I came back to find diarrhoea all over the loo, cigarette ends all over the kitchen floor and they had also set fire to the kitchen wall (morons subcontracted by Magnet and Southern to fit a new kitchen). This was the last straw and I told them to get out of my house .

They returned the next day unannounced to collect their tools and walked into my house without knocking .
I would never leave workmen in my place unattended - oh no !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Oh I agree with you Meg some workers can be sloppy to say the least, but if you have the same workers (Polish in our case) who had done work for you and your family before they can be trusted completely to have the same standards again and again, besides I think they are terrified of Phyllis, poor lads.
The fact some workers come from a reputable company means nothing to me, reputable companies have sloppy workers too, It’s hard to get the right people at the right price but when you do you use them and recommend them to your friends, it’s a win win situation, they get plenty of work and you get the best of workers.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 02:29 PM

Despite the noise I must say the chap(Eastern European by his accent) hoovered up every last scrap of dust and the toilet seat was DOWN. Today was quite quiet,just the sound of granite being cut. I am hoping to have the flue put in and the burner by some time next week
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Despite the noise I must say the chap(Eastern European by his accent) hoovered up every last scrap of dust and the toilet seat was DOWN. Today was quite quiet,just the sound of granite being cut. I am hoping to have the flue put in and the burner by some time next week
Sounds good Stephan I wish I could have a wood burner here but it isn't possible .

I hope you will be cosy and warm very soon
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 11:54 AM

Got a wood burning tortoise fire but not going to use it because of the problems. When we came here above the fireplace was dirty with smoke escape and going in with logs and out with ash does get on the carpets. Then there is getting and storing logs , even though we have log racks here.
Also a fire has to be cleaned every time and the hassle of lighting one it just is not worth it, having been there and done it.
No sticking to central heating and no problems
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

22-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Also a fire has to be cleaned every time and the hassle of lighting one it just is not worth it, having been there and done it.
No sticking to central heating and no problems
I have lived with open fires and wood burners and for me that is a small price to pay for the comfort of an open fire

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top