Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Gloss painting with a roller

I have never used a roller for gloss paint only brushes. I am soon to be faced with painting 8 doors, my worst nightmare and am thinking of having a go with a small roller.

Does anyone else use a roller for paintwork. I use traditional gloss paint with an undercoat, I don't like none drip one coat stuff.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 01:21 PM

Re: Gloss painting with a roller

Depends on the doors , if they are just plain you should be alright, if they have sort of moulding or anything you might have to use a brush to get into the corners. 8 doors eh, don"t envy you.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 01:25 PM

Sounds good to me - It's worth trying. You'd need a brush to cut it in though round the edges/corners.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 01:31 PM

I dread to think what mine would turn out like - I can't have gloss near me ...... You are a trouper Meg, for sure - hope all goes well
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Depends on the doors , if they are just plain you should be alright, if they have sort of moulding or anything you might have to use a brush to get into the corners. 8 doors eh, don"t envy you.
Originally Posted by carol ->
Sounds good to me - It's worth trying. You'd need a brush to cut it in though round the edges/corners.
No panels just edges to 'cut in' the doors are flat
I thought maybe a roller would give a better result than a brush with no visible brush strokes to worry about
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-11-2014, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I dread to think what mine would turn out like - I can't have gloss near me ...... You are a trouper Meg, for sure - hope all goes well
I have little choice Patsy 'beggars can't be choosers' as they say .

I have just finished decorating the sitting room which is 30 sq meters. My neighbour had a decorator in to do hers and it cost £1,000
Just waiting for the carpet fitters now to fit a new carpet.

Next job is the hall and landing with all the doors
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2014, 08:11 PM

I have glossed doors using a paintpad - and very successful it was too. Heavy duty rubber gloves and plastic bags to throw the used pad or roller away afterwards. If you can't get all the painting done in one go, have some clingfilm handy to wrap around the roller or paintpad which will keep it soft for a few hours until you're ready to start again.

Good luck

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top