Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 07:42 PM

house done now garage

Well that's the garage gutter cleaned and lowered the down pipe so the water can run off easier. Fixed the down pipe as well and the brackets were just hanging up on the ground, never fixed to the wall. Decided while I was working in that area to add another light to another brick column triggered by the sensor on the original light so both lights come on. Bit of a pig having to withdraw the main power back through a brick column and increase the size of the hole. Yes the bodger before had done it again. This time taping up cable joints instead of putting in a proper junction box. Luckily I had a spare box and external power cable,although 99 percent of the cable is inside anyway. had a bit of a problem with trying to use too small a strip connector when I split the feed to the light (breaking in on the circuit) but in my box of bits I had a larger connector and now all done and working.
Problem is the lights come on at night so to set them up has to be done at night for at least time on/off setting. took about 3 hours in all, so annoying when a small grub screw is missing and have to rob one off something else.

I would much rather go fit an LED floodlight with sensor as new, but don't think Sue would want to spend the cash, so it is make do with what one has.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Re: house done now garage

Oh the joys of a simple DIY job.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 09:47 PM

Great that you're able to do it yourself Bazza, fair play to you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 10:50 PM

Jem
I did 5 years as an electrical apprentice back in the 1960's so know my way around electrical circuits. Rules may have changed and fitting more modern but electrical circuits stay the same for houses.A light switch is still a light switch if you follow my meaning.

As well as that on building sites one was often as an apprentice asked to help other tradesmen if they needed it, common practice back then , as the lowest of the low you fetched and carried for the first year at least for any trade. We were required to do a 5 day 60 hour week even at the age of 16. You relied on the person you were apprenticed to to get you to and from place of work, but this quite often didn't happen.

Many a time I had to get across London by public transport and more often than not the service was non existent early in the morning as we started at 8am . There was no way could I get there on site in time and often got told off for being late.

Then there was day release and night school 2 nights a week so on those days I left home around 6am -went on site- left at end of day to go to night schooil and got home around 11pm,quite often without anything to eat as well. This was when I was 16/17 years old.

Yes it was tough to say the least, I shall always remember an apprentice pal of mine who got killed in a busbar chamber ( one of those risers the feed services between office floors).

I don't really want go into details it was not at all nice especially at that age

Anyway I deviate

working on building site helping other trades unknowingly learnt a lot from them as well,including some of the trade "tricks".

So yes I can turn my hand to most things but I won't touch anything to do with water or gas, I know my limits.

I don't think many youngsters would put up with that now and with health and safety they would not be allowed to anyway.

Trouble is at nearly 70 years old you know how to do it but not got the willpower/inclination.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top