Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 07:39 PM

Re: The word Gay

The smile and wink were for his mother and brother George! I read that homosexuals picked up on the reference to bright and gay from that song. Language usage and the way it changes is fascinating. Change can be logged via literature.
I fully expect someone to pick me up on this, of course, but I've done a lot of reading round this topic.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 07:52 PM

Well I was a bairn at the time, he was an uncle figure to me
No, I'm sure I was the third person on his list
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by countrygirl ->
I've heard several versions as to why it is now used to describe homosexuals. It's original meaning is from the became 12th century meaning cheerful and joyful. Later it became a by word for anything that was 'showy'. Later on, I think in late Victorian times, it began to be used about men and women who had lots of illicit sex. I remember seeing a document which described a promiscuous girl as 'ever so gay'. In the 1920s it began to be used about men who had sex with other men but it was not widely used because it was underground. This was long before it became a modern description for homosexual men.
Liberace's signature tune, 'I'll be seeing you' had a line which said, 'In everything that's bright and gay, I'll always think of you that way.'(approx) He sang that in the 1950s.
ThanK you for that , Informative.
Doesn"t quite tie in with Enid Blyton"s use of the word gay, but then what do I know ?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 08:17 PM

Word meanings do change and so does the context-why only the other day I was feeling a little queer.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 08:42 PM

You could take that three ways! OG
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 09:19 PM

Apricot: Enid Blyton had characters named Fanny and Dick until the publishers changed them for the sake of propriety.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2015, 10:50 PM

We had a very good popular TV presenter on national TV here, he’s retired now, he taught Terry Wogan a trick or two before he left for Britain, but in his prime he was offered a contract in the USA, his name is Gay Byrne but they did not like that in the states and asked him to change it, I believe he refused and lost the contract, I’ve always admired him for that.
Not to be confused with Gabriel Byrne the actor, no relation.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 12:57 AM

In this explanation of how the word came into use there is no mention of it being an acronym:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....an-homosexual/

And from wikipedia:

There is little doubt that the homosexual sense is a development of the word's traditional meaning, as described above. It has nevertheless been claimed that gay stands for "Good As You", but there is no evidence for this: it is a folk etymology backronym.
oxymoron47
Australia
oxymoron47 is male  oxymoron47 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 07:11 AM

Most of my gay friends have quite gay personalities and can often be seen engaging in gay banter with their gay friends as they gaily mingle in gay bars.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 08:19 AM

Hi

One of the finest legal brains I know is homosexual.

He objects strongly to being called gay.

He points out that he has never been gay, has no intention of ever being gay, that he enjoys being miserable and sour faced and the only time he ever allows himself a smile, a small fleeting one, is when he has found a legal error in the opposition's case.

Takes all sorts.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top