Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 02:31 PM

Re: More for some to anguish over re statins !

After taking Benecol and losing weight, my cholesterol level was 5.3.
My GP said that ideally cholesterol should be about 4. I asked if it was true that research linked a cholesterol level of 4.5 or lower with an increased mortality rate. She thought for a minute and then said that the advice was for a level of 4. I suggested that she should have been a politician.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 03:20 PM

My cholesterol is just over 6. I have never been asked to take statins and if I was, I would refuse them. I have seen a friend, a fine specimen of a man deteriorate and now hardly able to walk due to statins. My cholesterol may be high but the doctor tells me it is good cholesterol.
Doctors push them as they are rewarded for prescribing them.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Statins could stop flu jab from working properly

Flu jab working?! Nice one!

dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Flu jab working?! Nice one!

Yes Realist, my first question when I opened the tread.
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 04:19 PM

There was also something I briefly read about statins making it more likely someone taking them will get nasty chest infections. Not sure whether that was because they were taking statins or whether it was after having a flu injection as well. I did try them once, as I was a bit worried about a family medical problem, but by day three I felt so ill I stopped taking them. That was the lowest dose. I didn't try any other brands. I presume the one I took was the cheapest available. My cholesterol is what was at one time considered normal. The doctor I usually see is not worried about it.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 08:37 PM

Been on high-dose statins for well over a decade.
I eat what I like (including grapefruit), drink heaps of booze and despise exercise.

All good !
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 10:19 PM

I've been taking them for years with no side effects whatsoever, if I stopped the meds my levels would go up again as I inherited it from my mum, she went for routine tests many years ago and found it was high, subsequently we all had to get checked out and bingo! we ALL had it!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2015, 10:39 PM

My husband takes 10mg statin, 20mg anticoagulant, 100mg high BP tablet .... and has had this year's flu jab - no adverse reactions from any of them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top