Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 10:08 AM

Re: Bacon?

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Whilst standing watch in the wee small hours of the morning on the bridge of a tanker at sea, we used get steaming mugs of cocoa, liberally laced with rum - delicious!!!
That sounds like a proper drink UJ
(shudders at the thought of Horlicks )
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That sounds like a proper drink UJ
(shudders at the thought of Horlicks )

It was Meg darlin' - stopped us from feeling cold and sleepy.
oxymoron47
Australia
oxymoron47 is male  oxymoron47 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 10:20 AM

I'm 68 and have been eating bacon and eggs for breakfast for as long as I can remember, fading memory not withstanding. Not a sign of cancer, so far. In addition, for the past thirty years or more, I have enjoyed sharing a bottle of red wine with my partner at dinner. Still no sign of cancer. Just to rub salt (is that cancerous too?) into the wound, I regularly eat chorizo, ham, salami and a variety of other processed meats. Still no cancer. I put my good health down to a regular intake of excellent single malt whiskey which, as we all know, is the best anti cancer agent on the market.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 11:59 AM

I do like my bacon/mushroom/tomato sarnie on sunday mornings. That's the only day I have a cooked brekkie. It's not sunday to me without sitting down with a cuppa, the sunday paper, and my bacon sarnie.
Little things please little minds as they say.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 12:26 PM

It's quite funny how when it comes to what we should or should not eat people are happy to challenge and dispute the "institutional" guidelines and statistics and yet when we talk about having the Flu Jab so many can't apply the same questioning logic and scepticism to the medical industry!

imo cancer has nothing whatsoever to do with food. It is a man-made condition for which I am equally sure there exists and has existed for a long time, a simple cure.

There is a war going on which has been running for quite a few years now. It is an assault by certain people on the health of the general populous to bring down numbers and reduce longevity. It doesn't really matter what you eat because if they control the food chain they will doctor anything and everything they can.

The only real solution is to produce your own food as far as is humanly possible. At least grow your own fruit and veg and opt for local farms who butcher their own meat and which thus has providence.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

The only real solution is to produce your own food as far as is humanly possible. At least grow your own fruit and veg and opt for local farms who butcher their own meat and which thus has providence.

The only comment I have about that is, an animal is not necessarily well looked after, healthily fed, clear of vaccines/antibiotics/wormers or humanely destroyed merely because it happens to live locally.

Many farm animals are kept intensively indoors, never felt sunshine on their skin or eaten good quality grass, all their diet coming out of a paper sack to maximise growth in the shortest time. It's all about profit.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 10:22 PM

Agree entirely with that.
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 12:48 PM

The so say "experts" are always having to find something to upset normal people. What a lot of rubbish is being talked about eating processed food and red meat. I am sure the main reason as to why some people live longer than others is not just diet, but their genetic makeup as you can see people who so say have the correct diet dying at a younger age than some who eat all the wrong things.

I do think there are far too many chemicals added to much of our food which may well cause problems. We eat very little processed food, although do have the occasional sausage and the like. We are lucky in that most of our meat is purchased locally from farms where the animals are reared in a healthy manner. Beef in particular is a very healthy meat with iron, and vitamin B12 amongst other things, which is essential to human beings and is virtually unobtainable from a purely vegetarian diet. Most chicken is factory farmed and is full of antibiotics and other things, and is almost useless when it comes providing much by way of nutrients. You need to eat free range or organic chicken to have a meat with any real health benefits.

As has been said, a healthy diet is a varied one, with moderation in all we eat. Various foods come in and out of favour by the experts, who use statistics to prove their findings. Anyone can make the statistics prove what they want them to prove. What was it someone said, there are statistics, more statistics and damn lies, or something like that.

Incidentally has anyone heard what will happen to all the animals if we give up eating meat. More ground will be needed to grow vegetable crops of one sort or another, and nobody is going to keep animals in large numbers as pets. Cows, sheep, pigs etc are domesticated animals and need to be looked after by people, even sheep who often live in areas where other food cannot be grown. They would all have to go, and we would just keep a couple of each type in a zoo I suppose. Vegans think it wrong to use an animal for anything, and unkind to the animals. What do they think of having no animals at all. Perhaps they would like to keep a couple in their back gardens!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 06:27 PM

A bacon sandwich might be bad for the body but it's certainly good for the soul. Gives me a feeling of happiness every time I have one.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 02:27 PM

All things in moderation!

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top