Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 07:30 PM

Marrow

Ive been given a marrow and havnt a clue what to do with it...(no wise cracks lol )

Any ideas on something nice to do with it please ?
I shall probably google some recipes but just wondered if anyone had any easy things to do with it.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 07:53 PM

Re: Marrow

compost bin?-marrows are just so tasteless. Make the recipe for a stuffed one but exclude the marrow
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 08:02 PM

Aysa, when my two girls were young ,things were not always easy. My father in law though grew all his own veg. And then he would bring me veg, along with a Marrow!
I asked my mother what I could do with it and she said marrow pie.

I used to put the insides of the marrow into a saucepan bring to the boil, and gradually it went to pulp, and then I used to add a bit of sugar and make a pie out of it.

My girls never knew they were eating marrow, they thought it was apple pie
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 08:04 PM

Peel it. Cut it in half (either way), scoop out the middle with the seeds in it. Make a bolognaise sauce with minced meat...........or any flippin sauce frankly, shove it in the scooped out marrow. Put that onto an oven tray with some tinfoil on. Bake it. When a knife goes through it without too much pressure - it's done!
Eat it.............enjoy.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
compost bin?-marrows are just so tasteless. Make the recipe for a stuffed one but exclude the marrow
Lol oh dear OG theyre that good are they?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

24-07-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Marion ->
Aysa, when my two girls were young ,things were not always easy. My father in law though grew all his own veg. And then he would bring me veg, along with a Marrow!
I asked my mother what I could do with it and she said marrow pie.

I used to put the insides of the marrow into a saucepan bring to the boil, and gradually it went to pulp, and then I used to add a bit of sugar and make a pie out of it.

My girls never knew they were eating marrow, they thought it was apple pie
Thanks Marion, its one to think about and seems very easy peasy .
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

24-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Peel it. Cut it in half (either way), scoop out the middle with the seeds in it. Make a bolognaise sauce with minced meat...........or any flippin sauce frankly, shove it in the scooped out marrow. Put that onto an oven tray with some tinfoil on. Bake it. When a knife goes through it without too much pressure - it's done!
Eat it.............enjoy.
Thanks Lindyloo
so really im not actually eating the marrow itself just the filling that goes into the empty shell of it.?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 09:16 PM

Marrows are lovely, either stuffed with mince and sauce (vegetarian in my case) or simply steamed and seasoned with salt and pepper to be served as a veggie with anything,
my husband likes it chopped into cubes and curried too.

My nan used to steam it and serve with brown bread and butter, gorgeous.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 09:38 PM

I used to do stuffed marrow with mince , frankly though in this day and age it is just such a faff , I don"t bother anymore.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2015, 10:17 PM

My grandma used to make Marrow Rum !

Marrow Rum

Cut the top off a good-sized marrow and scoop out the seeds.
Pack the cavity with dark brown sugar and raisins: (a 3lb/1.5kg marrow will hold as much as 2lb/1kg sugar/raisins.)

Add a little yeast.

Make a small hole in the bottom of the marrow with a skewer or knitting needle, add a cup of orange juice (optional but nice) put the marrow in a nylon stocking and hang it over a bowl.

Allow the fermenting liquid to drip into the bowl: depending on the size of the marrow, the process will take around two months. Decant the syrupy brown liqueur into bottles. You can drink it straight away or keep it to mature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top