Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 12:14 AM

Losing gardening skills

An article in my gardening magazine this week said that many
traditional gardening skills are being lost.
Many young people today cannot tell a Tulip from a Geranium, and one in three didn't even know what a Hoe looked like in surveys carried out.

Another survey carried out by Whitby Seafoods, found that many Brits thought bananas were grown in the UK.
Future generations are set to be just as confused as more than 30% of parents said their children had asked questions about food, and they did not know how to answer them.

What a sad state of affairs I thought.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 08:51 AM

Re: Losing gardening skills

If global warming continues Mups the bananas might be
growing in Whitby
I have noticed a lack of education in the youth for years now.
I often thought if a disaster occurred the golden oldies would
survive with the knowledge we have.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 08:52 AM

It is sad and you see so little of basic veg growing in our gardens these days. Growing from seed is also dying out.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 09:00 AM

I agree it's a shame, but I suppose affluence is nainly to blame as growing veg used to be a necessity as much and the pleasure of doing so just a by product. Now I grow veg just for the pleasure if doing so
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
An article in my gardening magazine this week said that many
traditional gardening skills are being lost.
Many young people today cannot tell a Tulip from a Geranium, and one in three didn't even know what a Hoe looked like in surveys carried out.

Another survey carried out by Whitby Seafoods, found that many Brits thought bananas were grown in the UK.
Future generations are set to be just as confused as more than 30% of parents said their children had asked questions about food, and they did not know how to answer them.

What a sad state of affairs I thought.
Now that amuses me, I know one thing I was in Whitby on Tuesday and I didn't see any bananas, but I did have some super fish at Quayside Fisheries.
My gardening is now limited by the state of my health, I can't do what I used to, in my younger days it was great to grow veg on my allotment, but much better eating it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 09:41 AM

I think it said a lot when M&S had to move the daffodils away from the food section because some people thought they were edible

My grandchildren go to their other nanna's allotment to potter around and they have a gardening club at school which the 5 year old twins attend .
Little Hannah planted the runner beans with me this year and helped to keep them watered.

I am hoping they will all grow up as gardeners .

Gardening club...

...you can see my granddaughter pink Wellington on the back row left
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 09:51 AM

I have a lovely garden and would love to grow my own veg ..However due to neighbourhood cats (a multitude) who use local gardens as toilets my garden is gravel with a few plants.
I know this doesnt explain everything but maybe a lot of people who would grow things are put off by it.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I agree it's a shame, but I suppose affluence is nainly to blame as growing veg used to be a necessity as much and the pleasure of doing so just a by product. Now I grow veg just for the pleasure if doing so
I grow 'em for the taste plantman!

Savings don't really amount to much but I do love growing things from seed.
You learn a lot from your mistakes and start to understand more about plants and even the insect world too. stevmk2
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 10:45 AM

Growing your own takes time,I fear many want it yesterday.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Growing your own takes time,I fear many want it yesterday.

I think that's a good point OG.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top