Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 09:22 AM

More for some to anguish over re statins !

Statins could stop flu jab from working properly and put elderly at risk, scientists warn

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...ists-warn.html
Deborah2307
Weymouth Dorset
Deborah2307 is female  Deborah2307 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Re: More for some to anguish over re statins !

I really do think that most of what we take is to supply the pharmaceutical companies with more profit. I have high cholesterol but so did my father and so on it is hereditary and no medicine will bring it down so I refuse. I took anti-depressants which caused glaucoma so then taking tablets and 3 lots of drops. No one said stop tablets then you can stop drops so did it on my own, funny not depressed and eyes stable. Its all about the money
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah2307 ->
I really do think that most of what we take is to supply the pharmaceutical companies with more profit. I have high cholesterol but so did my father and so on it is hereditary and no medicine will bring it down so I refuse. I took anti-depressants which caused glaucoma so then taking tablets and 3 lots of drops. No one said stop tablets then you can stop drops so did it on my own, funny not depressed and eyes stable. Its all about the money
I come from a family with a history of raised cholesterol and statins have reduced my level from almost 9 to just over 4. My father and brother both died from massive heart attacks. I will be 79 shortly and reckon they have given me an extra few years.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I come from a family with a history of raised cholesterol and statins have reduced my level from almost 9 to just over 4. My father and brother both died from massive heart attacks. I will be 79 shortly and reckon they have given me an extra few years.
I'm sure that must be statins coupled with a healthy diet, exercise, and lifestyle which has got your total cholesterol down to 4 scot37
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 10:57 AM

Three years ago my doctor told me my cholesterol was too high and taking a statin would lower my risk of heart attack and stroke and I've been on them ever since. I would caution anyone to see their doctor first before stopping statin medication.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

29-10-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by tootsweet ->
Three years ago my doctor told me my cholesterol was too high and taking a statin would lower my risk of heart attack and stroke and I've been on them ever since. I would caution anyone to see their doctor first before stopping statin medication.
Wise words toot !
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I'm sure that must be statins coupled with a healthy diet, exercise, and lifestyle which has got your total cholesterol down to 4 scot37
Yes Malcolm diet and exercise are important. If you are on an unhealthy diet and overweight changing to a healthy one will help.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Dr Michael Mosley the award winning science journalist had a whole programme on BBC 2 covering Statins with 'expert' consultants both for and against them putting forward their views.
There seemed to be no definitive answer as to whether or not the benefits of taking stains outweigh the drawbacks.

With so much conflicting advice out there and each person with their own unique medical history it is all a bit of a lottery decide which medication to take.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 12:19 PM

GP recently advised my husband to take statins but cautioned it might react with his blood thinning medication, said if they were being honest she wouldn't take them herself. So he isn't. I do wonder how many other medications they react with if this is the case.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2015, 12:28 PM

I was getting pains in my shoulders and my doctor took me off of Statins which I had been on for several years.
Pain stopped I felt so much better but was concerned that my cholesterol reading hadn't been taken.
I bought those Cholesterol type drinks and had one a day but was still concerned so went to the doctors and mentioned this.
He had me checked and told me that it would be wiser to go back to Statins as my cholesterol level was over 8 where as when I was on Statins it was 4.
I am now back on Statins. Slight pain in shoulders but I feel more content taking them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top