Join for free
Page 17 of 19 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 07:41 PM

Re: Anti Cyclists

I spent 6 months cycling everywhere once. It's not a good memory. Potholes, cycle lanes that end without warning, over familiar pedestrians, car doors.... perhaps it's easier now. But there is no way I would have started an argument with a car like some psycho cyclists I've come across. Or got in the way of a car. It's a different mentality.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I spent 6 months cycling everywhere once. It's not a good memory. Potholes, cycle lanes that end without warning, over familiar pedestrians, car doors.... perhaps it's easier now. But there is no way I would have started an argument with a car like some psycho cyclists I've come across. Or got in the way of a car. It's a different mentality.
Agreed. Always tried to avoid busy roads, even if it added a fair old distance to my trip.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
I don't think walkers and cyclists take priority over vehicles in Guernsey, they certainly didn't when I cycled to school, the Ladies College, in my youth.
Only on the designated 'Green Lanes' Monkey, and they have been as long as I've been visiting Guernsey, for the last 15 years....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It would be ok if there were some definite rules. The problem with coming across cyclists is that you know the car behind really wants you to overtake but the cyclist doesn't, until it is safe. It puts the driver under pressure and that's when mistakes are made.
They are definite rules on Guernsey Longdogs. People have a bit more time on Guernsey though....
I have spent quite a lot of time running around the narrow lanes and roads of Devon Longy. I spent six months living and working at Torpoint. I understand that your insurance is void while driving on the backroads...?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I understand that your insurance is void while driving on the backroads...?
Crikey, that's interesting - any known reason why?

The only other place I know where, once you cross the blue line, all insurance bets are off is around the Arc de Triomphe. But let's not digress on that one
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

30-07-2020, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Crikey, that's interesting - any known reason why?

The only other place I know where, once you cross the blue line, all insurance bets are off is around the Arc de Triomphe. But let's not digress on that one
I think it's knock for knock Dex, each pays for their own damage with no blame attributed.....
I think there is always an alternative route albeit longer...
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

30-07-2020, 08:45 PM

I think it's knock for knock Dex, each pays for their own damage with no blame attributed.....
It would be lovely if this were the case. Hopefully there aren't too many cases which involve private prosecutions which might rock the boat.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

31-07-2020, 08:24 AM

They are definite rules on Guernsey Longdogs. People have a bit more time on Guernsey though....
I have spent quite a lot of time running around the narrow lanes and roads of Devon Longy. I spent six months living and working at Torpoint. I understand that your insurance is void while driving on the backroads...?
I will have to ask my sister who still lives there about that. I haven't been back to the island since 2013.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It's actually quite unpleasant having a motorist behind who wants to overtake. I have a handlebar mirror that lets me know they are there but the vehicle can be heard as well. I don't like that situation any more than the motorist does. It can lead to feeling harassed, even though it's not the drivers fault.

On a narrow road, I will stop when there's a place for me to pull in and let them go by. The thing is that I'm a motorist as well and know how drivers can be inconvenienced or upset by cyclists.

The same often can't be said for motorists. They have no idea what it's like to cycle on the roads these days.
I agree. It must appear a lot worse to the cyclist than it does to the driver. On Devon roads at least, the driver has to get reasonably close behind in order to overtake quickly before the next bend in the road arrives, making sure there is nothing coming the other way.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:52 AM

I didn't know that, although I really do avoid the back roads these days as you can suddenly find yourself face to face with a huge tractor and guess who has to back up for half a mile?

Page 17 of 19 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top