Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 11:45 AM

Re: Greetings!

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Welcome Minx!
I am not sure what you mean when you say challenging. I have read quite a few that I never bothered to finish, but to me that means they are boring.
There was one book that I just couldn't stop reading about 30 years ago. It was a true story of a young woman who agreed to marry a stranger & live with him on a desert island for a year. It was such an adventure with many things that made you worry for both of them.
The young woman wrote the book herself & it was
" Castaway" by Lucy Irvine. She wrote a few others about her different adventures ( which were good) and I understand that she now lives a reclusive life in Bulgaria.
If I read the book again now, I am sure I would still feel as worried for her, as I did when I first read it... even though I know she survived!
I read Castaway Twink
Sounded awful
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I wonder what type of book you refer to? would it be a technical book with lots of technical jargen- a reference book on a particular subject or possibly a fiction/nonfiction book

To most I would think it was a DIY flat pack assembly furniture kit
Ok, I’ll be more specific. It took me three months to read the book Sapiens: A brief history of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harare. I usually read a book in three days.
Almost every other paragraph challenged my belief system.

I’m reading his follow up book ‘Homo Deus’ at the moment which has taken me six months to read a quarter of the book. It’s very thought provoking. #deepstuff

As for flat pack assembly furniture instructions, that’s a whole new thread.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 12:36 PM

Maybe ‘War and Peace’ ....... 1225 pages, a challenge for anyone!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I read Castaway Twink
Sounded awful
I was fascinated by the author! In "Runaway" she went hitch hiking alone round Europe & had some awful experiences... including rape.
She had a son and lived in a remote Scottish cottage for some time, but I always wanted her to find some happiness.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 12:48 PM

Good afternoon Minx, and welcome.

May I ask which country 'South' is in please?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 12:53 PM

Hello Minx We notice you have omitted to include your country of residence in your profile. It would be helpful to us if you could add it please.

Kind regards.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Maybe ‘War and Peace’ ....... 1225 pages, a challenge for anyone!
I must admit, I never read that book. Would you recommend it?
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

10-10-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Good afternoon Minx, and welcome.

May I ask which country 'South' is in please?
Thanks, I have updated my profile.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

10-10-2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Hello Minx We notice you have omitted to include your country of residence in your profile. It would be helpful to us if you could add it please.

Kind regards.
done thanks!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

10-10-2020, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
done thanks!
Thank you Minx, appreciated...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top