Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 10:18 PM

Re: RCD keeps tripping

Judd it was tough back then and you dearn't tell as they guys would gang up on you.
Nothing worse than being outside in the dead of winter freezing cold and told to get this job completed before going in the warm. i was at Noel Bowerters daughters farm in Peas Pottage Sussex. They were doing a dutch barn for power and light, Me I was stripped to the waste in the freezing cold sweating putting threads on one and a half inch conduits and also swan neck bends by hand , nearly finished me that did. try doing that all morning and no older than 17

Then day release and 2 nights a week at night school wasn't that clever.

Often I left home at 6.30am, caught the firms transport to site and back to go straight to night school until about 10.30pm,, nothing to eat either most days .

This is where I learnt to hard graft I suppose for the rest of my working life.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 11:58 AM

If you are considering replacing your distribution board for that latest type, why not consider fitting one that has an RCBO for each individual protected circuit instead of an RCD that cuts the complete electrical supply upon detecting an out-of-balance fault. It will add to the cost but I found the RCBO system worth the extra outlay for not loosing a whole group of circuits when only one carried the fault.
LINK to explanation of RCBO

https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-mini-rcbo/p78231
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
If you are considering replacing your distribution board for that latest type, why not consider fitting one that has an RCBO for each individual protected circuit instead of an RCD that cuts the complete electrical supply upon detecting an out-of-balance fault. It will add to the cost but I found the RCBO system worth the extra outlay for not loosing a whole group of circuits when only one carried the fault.

Unfortunately your link to the explanation of RCBO is not working, all I get is a message that my browser 'cannot open page'.

I believe my consumer unit is one of the type you name as RCBO. Each of the circuits has its own RCD where a switch drops down and can be reset by just pushing it back up. I've only ever had to do this once when it tripped out for some reason or other but has never done it again.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 09:23 PM

In Longdriver's absence it might have been this

https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/...work-330-c.asp
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Unfortunately your link to the explanation of RCBO is not working, all I get is a message that my browser 'cannot open page'.

I believe my consumer unit is one of the type you name as RCBO. Each of the circuits has its own RCD where a switch drops down and can be reset by just pushing it back up. I've only ever had to do this once when it tripped out for some reason or other but has never done it again.
I think these units are just MCB's with a built in RCB....When the switch drops out it will be the MCB, when the RCB is tripped I believe it will be reset by pressing the yellow button....Judd will probably explain better.....Or even correct me if I'm wrong....
Lorna Doone
New Member!
England
Lorna Doone is female 

19-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Hi Judd,

Have been in contact with the gas salesman to ask what device he was using when he plugged into sockets. He said it was a Socket&See, " just carries out an earth loop test,, along with voltage and polarity check"

Does this make any more sense as to why the rcd immediately tripped?
Have not detected any appliance problem as yet, brother in law suggested plugging in a mechanical clock so that we might at least find out what time it tends to happen, good idea?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2019, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
In Longdriver's absence it might have been this

https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/...work-330-c.asp
Thanks for that link Ray, I am a little wiser now anyway which is always a good thing!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lorna Doone ->
Hi Judd,

Have been in contact with the gas salesman to ask what device he was using when he plugged into sockets. He said it was a Socket&See, " just carries out an earth loop test,, along with voltage and polarity check"

Does this make any more sense as to why the rcd immediately tripped?
Have not detected any appliance problem as yet, brother in law suggested plugging in a mechanical clock so that we might at least find out what time it tends to happen, good idea?
Some of the Socket and See range are at the cheaper end of the test equipment range so I think I'll stick with my original prognosis that his tester isn't suitable for use with RCD protected circuits. The mechanical clock idea is a good one. Give it a try and see if it records the time when the electric goes off. Try it over a few days to see if the trip time is consistent then you may be able to pinpoint what's causing your problem.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2019, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->

They are a better solution in the long term but people are put off having them installed because of the sheer cost. To get round this, twin RCD consumer units are installed and different sections of the wiring are connected to the different RCDs to reduce inconvenience. For example, you may put the downstairs sockets and upstairs lights on one RCD and the upstairs sockets and downstairs lights on the other. In this way, if a fault causes one of the RCDs to trip, you will still have some functioning lights and sockets on the other RCD.
Lorna Doone
New Member!
England
Lorna Doone is female 

05-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Hi Judd,

I did respond to your pm in the other place but don't think you've been back since.

A bit of an update. Since I was last here, the Rcd has tripped on two occasions with us discovering it when we get up. We bought and installed a mechanical clock and can see that on both occasions it tripped at exactly 6am. We don't have anything on a timer that could explain it and isn't it too much of a coincidence that any appliance would cause it at exactly the same time?

Curious and curiouser!!!!! Any ideas?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top