Join for free
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 02:14 AM

Song of the South

Any body under 70 might not know this film but I loved it as a 6 year old.

In the 80s deemed to be racist so no copies .

But thanks to you tube you can watch it.

Zip it e doo dah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKW6_MEUqk
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:25 AM

Re: Song of the South

I am under 70 yet can clearly remember seeing this curate's egg of a film. Wonderful in some ways and deeply, casually racist in others. It's a shame about the good bits but it has to be consigned to history and never be revived.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 11:30 AM

Is that where the tar baby came from?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
Is that where the tar baby came from?
Yes.

But in 1946 was it racist or was it misconstrued later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMw-8Ttu10
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 01:28 PM

Thank you

I suppose Biffo the Bear may be a bit dodgy too
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Any body under 70 might not know this film but I loved it as a 6 year old.

In the 80s deemed to be racist so no copies .

But thanks to you tube you can watch it.

Zip it e doo dah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKW6_MEUqk
I loved that film, pretty certain I had the video years ago too. You can still buy it on DVD.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:42 PM

There was one small scene I recall that illustrates the casual racism - all the children, including the slaves' little boy, are running through the woods. They all jump over a fallen tree trunk except the clumsy slave boy who trips and falls flat on his face.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:54 PM

That is only racism if you are looking for racism.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 08:17 PM

I saw the movie when I was very young, certainly the movie was racist. It was made in the day when racism was considered normal. The movie reflected the time and should be preserved as lesson on just how rotten our culture was.

My grandfather was born, as a son of the master, on a slave plantation. I was raised in the certainty that all things white were superior to all things black, and that teaching was in the home, the community, the church and the school.(all of which were segregated) I remember nothing mean nor spiteful about it, it was just the way it was. I started learning the error of our ways when I began to enter into the adult world and started thinking for myself.

We were more ignorant then than now, hopefully, with time, we will continue to progress, even though there are growing groups who would like to drag us back.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 11:16 PM

Read this....

Q. Is the movie set before or after the Civil War?

A. After. Just as the original Uncle Remus stories written by Joel Chandler Harris, Song of the South is set in a time period after the Civil War and the abolition of slavery. This is evident by the fact that in the movie Uncle Remus is able to freely leave the plantation. It's possible Walt Disney assumed that people already knew this fact, and may have felt that stating the date was unnecessary. Nevertheless, it has remained a cause for confusion.

and this...

Q. What is so "racist" about this movie?

A. The general objections lie in the depiction of African-Americans within the live action sequences of the film, such as stereotyping. Some also mistakenly believe the movie depicts slavery, and consequently believe that Disney tried to "sugarcoat" slavery. In the 1940's, the NAACP charged the film with giving the impression of "an idyllic master-slave relationship." Some people also find the Tar Baby animated sequence to be objectionable. For more in-depth discussion on the issues surrounding this film, please read my defense on the matter.

Taken from this...

http://www.songofthesouth.net/faq/index.html

In fact read all of the article.
It was never banned, it was Disney who didn't re-release it in America. I still don't think it's racial.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top