Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 12:02 AM

Re: The best to come out of the U.K.

Ok I think we've established that Gervais is not universally liked in England.
What about Cleese and Barker. many of you would have grown up with these guys on TV. Loved the two Ronnies. And Porridge. Barker was a brilliant wit. Remember his spoonerism skit? Dave Granger is in grave danger?
He represented to me classic British wit.

Cleese . Well Cleese was an absolute genius. I love the way he portrayed anger on Fawlty Towers. And satirising prejudice and British snobbery.
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 12:09 AM

Chariots of Fire
A bloody beautiful movie. Ian Charleson was perfect for the role. (he died I heard by the way).
"You came here to see a race today. To see someone win. It happened to be me. But I want to compare running a race to faith ……." just a small sample of a movie that took me to another place. Watching those guys run on the beach in slow motion with a Vangelis soundtrack". Then the other star of the movie is a troubled soul. Love the Pirates of Penzance scene and also the song "he is an Englishman". Was that Gilbert and Sullyvan? Oh it just takes my breath away , thinking of it.

This and The Mission are my favourite movies of all time.
precious
Brisbane Australia

05-09-2019, 12:12 AM

Jerusalem the hymn. Words from William Blake.
Just awesome. Organ and choir can lift this song so its almost as if I am carried on Eagles Wings. it plays at the end of Chariots of Fire. such a poignant ending to the movie.
Im trying to learn it on guitar but it is quite challenging.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 03:59 AM

Literature.Some music and painting but it's mostly been authors and playwrights,I think.
precious
Brisbane Australia

05-09-2019, 04:24 AM

they invented cricket and rugby too, didnt they?
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 05:32 AM

I think they like organizing things.
Golf,lawn tennis, baseball and association football(soccer)
The last two for the plebs,all the others were for the toffs.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I'll see your Spitfire and Jaguar, Basser, and raise you by

Tolkien
Dickens
Tiger Moth planes
Wensleydale cheese
and
Fish and Chips
Yep very good choices STabby
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 06:55 AM

Sir Edward Elgar
Fabians
Trade Unions
Errant Football Fans
Spitfire
Village Greens
NHS
Public Houses
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by precious ->
Ok I think we've established that Gervais is not universally liked in England.
What about Cleese and Barker. many of you would have grown up with these guys on TV. Loved the two Ronnies. And Porridge. Barker was a brilliant wit. Remember his spoonerism skit? Dave Granger is in grave danger?
He represented to me classic British wit.

Cleese . Well Cleese was an absolute genius. I love the way he portrayed anger on Fawlty Towers. And satirising prejudice and British snobbery.
Ronnie Barker was excellent, never liked Ronnie Corbett - and he fell into obscurity when Barker died - which shows which one had the real talent.

Cleese - I can take or leave. Seen him in good things - also seen him in rubbish. Never seen Fawlty Towers so cannot answer for that one.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by precious ->
Chariots of Fire
A bloody beautiful movie. Ian Charleson was perfect for the role. (he died I heard by the way).
"You came here to see a race today. To see someone win. It happened to be me. But I want to compare running a race to faith ……." just a small sample of a movie that took me to another place. Watching those guys run on the beach in slow motion with a Vangelis soundtrack". Then the other star of the movie is a troubled soul. Love the Pirates of Penzance scene and also the song "he is an Englishman". Was that Gilbert and Sullyvan? Oh it just takes my breath away , thinking of it.
Yes - that song was written by Gilbert and Sullivan - it is from H.M.S Pinafore.

This and The Mission are my favourite movies of all time.
Have never seen 'Chariots of Fire' - but I do like the music.
The Mission - both film and music - are excellent!

Does this mean our engagement is back on?

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top