Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 03:36 PM

Re: council tax benifit claim

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->

You don't work (for whatever reason), and you get all sorts of benefits!.
That is not entirely true ..I worked all my life..I paid my tax and NI .....i cannot claim a penny in benefits ....my wife works part time so they deem that enough to live on ...1 month of her wages will pay the mortgage and council tax and that's about it....i then have to think about food bills energy bills and all the other necessities in life and a few minor luxuries....fortunately i had provided for myself all be it for my retirement ....I have had to use that to survive...hopefully i will be able to claim benefits then ...
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Unfortunately, if you have worked hard all your life, you are expected to live on your savings if you come out of work, but if you have not worked and saved you can claim everything, and often end up better off, that's the way the benefit system works, in favour of the workshy.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 04:13 PM

That is not quite True ..if you rent you get help ..if you have a mortgage you get nothing ..if you have green hair, facial tattoos and lumps of metal through your through every part of your body..you are not fit for work ..so you get paid ...if you live in a wheelchair are blind 100% disabled you are deemed fit to work so you get nothing ......I have used all my savings ..used my retirement pensions I am just glad i have a possible job lined up next week, however it will bite me in the bum when i retire...
Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Unfortunately, if you have worked hard all your life, you are expected to live on your savings if you come out of work, but if you have not worked and saved you can claim everything, and often end up better off, that's the way the benefit system works, in favour of the workshy.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 06:00 PM

OK lets get this straight, I am a single parent, I worked until I had my son and his father decided being a dad was not his 'thing' and legged it. After that I worked when I could, I am now a pensioner with a basic state pension plus the munificent sum of £45 a month from a private pension from 30 years ago when I paid superannuation prior to having my son. He gets paid a little above basic wage (about 50p an hour more I believe) and furthermore he actually pays MORE in tax per month than my Super an pension pays me. If he was not working and claiming benefit, he would get full JSA and I would get full housing and council tax benefits, but he prefers to work, and I am penalised for it. Oh and by the way my 'top up' is all of £17.10 p.w. My Housing benefit works out at the grand sum of £15 p.w. on a rent of £87. per week, and I have just received a Council Tax bill for £300. I do not smoke or drink, apart from the occasional visit to the cinema I cannot remember the last time I went out after 5pm, and rather than have the heating on I wear a long thick cotton kaftan in the evenings and if I get chilly I tuck my feet up and cover with a fleece. So Elbee are you still as envious?

Just as a sort of addendum here, one of my neighbours has just lost her 'partner' of over 30 years. And although I sympathise with this loss I cannot sympathise with her when she complains of being short on cash now because as they were never married she is not entitled to his pension or a widows pension or any of the other benefits that having been married to him may have brought. She admits it was her own decision not to marry. But if two people commit to a long term relationship then that commencement should surely take into consideration the future financial implications of being married or not?? If they chose not to ratify that relationship, either with a marriage or civil partnership then they have only themselves to blame if when the time comes they find themselves in financial woe.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Good post and well said Daisy....
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2013, 10:12 AM

I do apologise for thinking that Daisy had a wife! Quite why I dont know.
I appreciate that Daisy state income is low by normal living standards.
But...............I have worked for 35 years, saved hard and get nothing and pay £1900 a year Council Tax.
Daisy pays £300 a year Council Tax from her state handouts.

I am not "envious" and never was.
I am just extremely annoyed that I am having to pay full Council Tax because I have been a saver, when those that havent do not.

And to all those who are now having to pay £160 - £360 a year Council Tax instead of nothing they have got away with I say, get rid of Sky TV and stop getting tattoos!
You don't get my sympathy, especially when your fierce dogs eat children!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Elbee - I can only presume that Daisy and others - were not able to save...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top