Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 05:16 PM

T.V. quiz programmes

Does anyone else feel that these go from one extreme to the other? At the moment for instance the telly is on in the background and there is some silly quiz/game on and I just heard the following question, Tutankhamun was king of which country? What is the total number of days in September and October (and he got it flippin wrong too).

I thought these silly is it a,b or c, questions to win massive prizes were dumb but this programme is dumber.

Come to think of it I wish they would not describe the aforementioned is it a. b or c questions as competitions, they are basically raffles, you pay 'x' amount (or in some instances merely phone in and add your name to the list, to go in the draw.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Re: T.V. quiz programmes

[QUOTE=daisymay;379712]Does anyone else feel that these go from one extreme to the other? At the moment for instance the telly is on in the background and there is some silly quiz/game on and I just heard the following question, Tutankhamun was king of which country? What is the total number of days in September and October (and he got it flippin wrong too).

I thought these silly is it a,b or c, questions to win massive prizes were dumb but this programme is dumber. QUOTE]

Now let me think . . . . urm, urm, let me see, urm ... I should know this . . . .
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 06:23 PM

When you say you have a ABC quiz to answer the question, and you phone in and get money. That's not the same as a QUIZ programme where you stand there for 2 hours filming and it only takes half an hour or three quarters of an hour to show on TV.
Being a great quizzer and being on quite a few quiz programmes on TV, believe me they are totally different.
The General Knowledge quizzes are really hard, set against time or other contestants and if you don't know your GK you are out before any money or prizes are given.
The filming takes forever with stops for adverts, people getting the wobbles or some kind of interruption in the filming.
You do have a lovely day with plenty of food and great make up artists and the compere is great and very nice towards you.
It is hard sometimes to hold your nerves, especially when you start thinking that there are millions watching the programme and it could be shown in future years.
So a great Quiz programme is great but the chose the answer from three
examples is not exactly a quiz but a give away to get the general public to give £1 per phone call you need to get your name in the hat.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Yes what you describe is just a raffle draw in the break .....

As for quiz shows, it must be really nerveracking. I'm pretty good with quizzes, bet I'd be useless on TV !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 08:37 PM

My daughter's college class is off to watch Deal or No Deal tomorrow!
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:11 PM

How many days in September & October - you must have been watching Tipping Point, I saw that.
Used to watch The Chase afterwards, but it isn't on at the moment, so have turned over for Pointless, I'd be hopeless at that one.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:38 AM

Ah, now that one is very clever, everyone knows the 'obvious' answer, but to know the obscure answer, now that takes a certain kind of brain. I am pretty good at general knowledge, as is my son in that we are like sponges and just soak up all sorts of tat. My old Colonel when was in WRAC used to say I was a "fount of useless knowledge".
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Only thing bothers me about quiz shows is how many people pop up time and again on different shows, give other people a chance I say. Same for reality shows they recycle contestants regularly coach trip one year and then 4 in a bed the next.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 12:52 PM

In Pointless, time and again I'd find difficulty in even thinking of an answer especially music/pop groups/films
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
My daughter's college class is off to watch Deal or No Deal tomorrow!
I hope she had a great day Twiz, the wife never misses that show, I can never figure out why the contestants cry when the kitty starts to go down, it's not as if they were losing any money, they never had it to lose in the first place, they should be happy they had a good time of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top