Join for free
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 12:44 PM

GPs - Behind Closed Doors

Anyone see this programme - its an interesting one, having a real insight into a doctors surgery .....
One of the reasons for long waiting times for an appointment, is the case of one such immigrant 'demanding' 6 consecutive appointments ! Because, she and her family do not speak English and so would take up a lot of time.
Her demanding attitude annoyed me. And - before you jump on me, I would say the same if it were an English person doing the same abroad.
People that want to live abroad, should at least have the decency to learn some if not all of the language.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Re: GPs - Behind Closed Doors

I didn't see it Patsy but I would agree with you there, if I were to set me roots in another Country I would make it my business to learn the language, if only out of respect for having me live there.
That sure would take up a lot of time I imagine, bad enough trying to understand the doctors lingo without him not understanding yours., a bit of a Harpo Marx situation could arise there, like when his solicitor asks him to sign the 'Sanity Clause', Harpo replies "Ahaa, you tria to kid me? everybody knows there's a no Sanity Clause"
I wouldn't be a doctor for love nor money, I think you have to be specially cut out for the job.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 04:03 PM

Loved the Marx Brothers
In all me years Jem - I have never demanded - that's the bit that really got me, I certainly wouldn't even consider that attitude in a country that has welcomed me with open arms.
I just don't get whats going on here, but it does explain a lot, having seen the programme, its on again next week, it is also funny in parts too
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Everyone seems to be 'Demanding' nowadays, how times have changed, and so quickly too. But I still hang on to good manners, politeness, and respect for the hand that feeds me, even though it's old fashioned now.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Me too
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2014, 08:49 PM

Our surgery is imploding.
Their system for appointments is a total mystery to me.
If nurse Gillian needs an appointment she has to drive to the surgery, join others outside queuing to get a numbered ticket, only to find out upon arriving at the front of the rabble, that there are no appointments for that day.
“come back tomorrow”

Today tempers boiled over, she was pushed aside by an enormous loud local woman & friends demanding an appointment.
Most people didn’t want to get involved & left.
Don’t get ill down south.

WE had some contact later when we received an email explaining that out of the normal 4 GP’s normally there, one had left, one was on maternity leave, one on holiday.
The leaver was proving difficult to replace & the locums expected did not attend.

This reminded me of one of my dear Departed grampy’s sayings.
“Civilisation is only skin deep”
The NHS is falling apart.
Not because of the example quoted here, but for these reasons.
*IT IS Too expensive to run
* People expect too much & live too long
* unhappy skilled medics are leaving these shores in droves
* Immigration out of control.

I don’t usually do SERIOUS, but this looks like the beginning of the end of FREE healthcare
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-05-2014, 10:02 AM

I just don't go to the surgery now - I cant bear it - it was fine a few year back, now its a nightmare
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2014, 05:51 PM

Thanks Patsy, I'm downloading it now. I saw it listed as I was flicking through my Mum's tv channels but thought I better not watch it as her doctor was visiting her any moment
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-05-2014, 05:58 PM

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top