Join for free
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 03:23 PM

How The West Was Won

For anyone interested in the subject - don't miss this one with Ray Mears.
Apart from stunning scenery, the subject is interesting.
Without the Native Americans the settlers may not have survived the early years. They taught them all about the strange wildlife and plant life, what was edible and healing etc.
The settlers lived happily alongside the Cherokee, until the Government moved the Cherokee by force.
A town is still standing, well some of it, from 1849 the goldrush period. We went inside the bar and the store which was left as was. All the old stock still on shelves.
Fascinating, good watch
Its on for 2 more shows - Thursdays BBC4 at 9pm
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Re: How The West Was Won

Snap! I watched that too Patsy, it was an unexpected treat, I've always liked Ray Mears, maybe it's because he's the spit of me nephew, the mad doc in Wales. Great to see how well the settlers got on with the native Cherokee, It's like I've always believed, ordinary folk always get on in poor circumstances, it was the governments greedy decision to move the natives out to the barren lands, much to the sorrow of settlers and natives alike.
Looking forward to the next shows.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 03:55 PM

Thanks Jem - me too - so pleased you watched !
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 06:22 PM

Thank you. I think that's something that I would enjoy. Downloading it on Catch Up now.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

25-05-2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Linden Tree ->
Thank you. I think that's something that I would enjoy. Downloading it on Catch Up now.
Hello Linda - I'm sure you will enjoy
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 06:27 PM

A good show as ever with Ray Mears , nothing flash but always understated and interesting. If your plane was ever going down into the desert I always think that he is the bloke you want to be sat at the side of...
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 10:35 PM

I like Ray Mears delivery, it's straightforward and not overdramatic. The scenery however is breathtaking
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-06-2014, 05:49 PM

Enjoyed the series and this last one I liked particularly for demonstrating the Natives use of a particular plant, whereby using the right technique, mastered a sewing needle from it with thread attached.
Also the wonderful mustang tackling a lethal cliff descent.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Loved Ray Mears since i first encountered him on Tracks, used to love the Data burst at the end of the programme which you had to record and play back at slow speed.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top