Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2016, 12:32 PM

Cauliflower cheese pie with grated potato crust

Morning all, here I am again with a recipe that I tried for the first time yesterday and it came out perfect There were two ingredients that I didn’t have to hand but I just substituted them with no problem. It really was so easy to do and it was very tasty. Hope you have a go and enjoy.

CAULIFLOWER CHEESE PIE WITH GRATED POTATO CRUST.
Serves 4 Time approx 1 hour 10 minutes
Oven 200C/400F/GAS 6.

(FOR THE CRUST)
50 grams grated raw potato (squeeze the water out)
A pinch of salt
1 x egg white, lightly beaten
60 grams grated onion

(FOR THE FILLING)
1 tablespoon of oil
2 onions chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced ( I used some swartz minced garlic)
½ teaspoon salt
Black pepper
Half a teaspoon mixed herbs
1 small cauliflower cut into florets
125 grams mushrooms sliced (optional)
2 large handfuls baby spinach (only had some kale so used that instead)
2 eggs
4 tablespoons of skimmed milk (I used semi-skimmed)
250 grams of cheddar cheese
Pinch of paprika
Little oil

I started my pie crust first so it would be ready for the filling.

To start your pie crust, lightly oil or spray a 9 inch pie dish
Place the grated potatoes in a colander over a bowl or your sink. Salt them and after squeezing any excess water out, let stand for 10 minutes

After the ten minutes are up,
Using a medium bowl, combine the grated potato, the egg white and the grated onion together. Now with lightly floured fingers, pat the potato mixture into the pie dish, gently building up the sides of the crust.

Bake for between 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. After the first 20 minutes of cooking ensure you brush the crust with oil to ensure it crisps up nicely.

Once you take out of oven. Immediately reduce to 190C/375F/Gas 5.

Now for the Pie Filling:-

Stir together in a bowl - ½ teaspoon salt, eggs, milk, pepper and paprika. Set aside.

In a frying pan, heat up either a little oil or spray and saute the onions, mushrooms, garlic and ½ teaspoon salt over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the mixed herbs and cauliflower florets and cook covered for approximately 9 to 10 minutes but stirring occasionally until the cauliflower florets are tender. Remove from the heat.

Take your potato pie crust (doesn’t matter if it is still hot) and layer it first with ½ of the grated cheese. Spoon the cauliflower mixture over the cheese, Then sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the top.

Pour the egg/milk mixture over the top and lightly sprinkle with paprika.

Bake for approx 35-40 minutes or until the knife placed between the centre and the edge of the pie comes out clean or your thermometer registers 170 - 175 degrees F.

Remove from Oven and serve Hot or Warm. (I served up a slice each with a green salad and ripped buttered french stick. Yum, it was delicious.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2016, 03:45 PM

Re: Cauliflower cheese pie with grated potato crust

Will try this recipe , it looks great and just perfect for us vegetarians .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2016, 08:05 PM

Hi SG, Thank You for the recipe! I have to say it was one of the most unusual things l have ever cooked! I used extra grated potato as 50 gms didn't seem enough!
Here's my verdict.... I didn't like it.......l loved it!!
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

31-03-2016, 10:47 PM

Sounds nice, I have taken the recipe down.

Thank you
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 03:00 AM

Sounds yummy
You can even have it with pasta or hommous. Aafak
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2016, 12:14 PM

Hi everyone, glad you having a go at it.

Art, I just copied the original recipe down so thought it only fair to put it as seen, but I'm like you, I used three "really large" potatoes cos 50grams didn't look enough. glad you really liked it though, we did and will do it again.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top