Join for free
Page 39 of 190 « First < 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 09:54 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

The final run of 2015 took place this morning almost before it got light, the early part of the run takes me across a waterlogged field and through a wood. A strong gale courtesy of Storm Frank blew me in a zig zag line along the path but had dried out the waterlogged field and even in the dark I managed to navigate my way to the other side. Puddles reflect light so even in the dark you can avoid them. The wood was very dark but no puddles, I could hear my shoes slapping on the sodden leaves though, I passed a surprised dog walker whose torch left me blinded and I stumbled blindly around for a few seconds, luckily my feet touched the ground in all the right places and it wasn’t long before I popped out on to a deserted road. The going was easy now with tarmac paths and street lighting, and by the time I reached the lane it was just light enough to plot a dry route through the tractor furrows and soggy bits. I arrived home and entered my time and comments in the log, and as it was my last run this year, calculated the culmination of all the runs completed in 2015, it came to 810 miles. Not bad considering a couple of months of layoffs due to injury.

And so after a hasty shower and a bowl of porridge we sped off to Scarborough to see the New Year in at the Palm Court Hotel, the weather is horrendous and the rain is pouring down (so thanks again Frank) but the car is safely parked up for the next three days and I’ve wrapped my hand around a glass of red wine after a delicious four course meal.
So it’s goodnight from a completely stuffed me, and hope to see you at six thirty for the pre-breakfast walk along the front…….. What do you mean no!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2015, 10:01 PM

Well done Bob, enjoy the meal and the wine you deserve it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Well done Bob, enjoy the meal and the wine you deserve it.
Thanks Jem, If I don't see you before, Happy New Year to you and your family.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-12-2015, 03:24 PM

Well I didn't make the early start this morning, I opted for a shower and a full English. I did eventually get off about eleven and proceeded on an inland route out to Scalby Mills where I dropped down on to the sea front.

This is the Pub at Scalby Mills and it's where I turned back to walk along the sea front. What usually is no more than a stream emptying into the sea has turned out to be white water rapids as Yorkshire tries to shed some of it's floodwater.

As I worked my way along the North Bay under a clear sunny sky I wondered if this beautiful day is by way of an apology for the recent bad weather, the man upstairs wanted us to leave 2015 on a happy note.....

I look up to the Clifton Hotel where many happy memories have been made over the years, but nothing stays the same and we are making new memories at the Palm Court.
After twenty odd years though I still have a soft spot for the old place. Our regular room was in the tower on the second floor.

Phone is ringing now, it's the wife wanting to meet up in the town for a sandwich, she's been enjoying a walk round town foraging through the sales. Just a steep set of steps now and I'll be back in the hum drum of retail life and the end to another year.
Just time to have a look at the GPS watch and see how far I've been....Five Miles.
Am looking forward to the early morning and my first run of 2016.....Happy New Year to anyone who has accidentally stumbled into Bob's Bits...see you next year.....

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-01-2016, 04:46 PM

An excellent New Years Eve bash saw us falling into bed at just gone two thirty. It was nice to get my shoes off after dancing most of the night. No rest for a runner though, the alarm woke me at six thirty and I was out on the road for seven. It was still dark with just a flash of red in the eastern sky. Going was quite slippy in places due to a covering of frost, after the mild weather it took me by surprise but once I got to work on Olivers Mount the boiler fired up and I was soon up to running temperature. A minute or two slower than last year but satisfying all the same. It ended up being 5.45 miles in 1 hour and 4 minutes....And so I start the New Year with a bit of work to do.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-01-2016, 10:49 PM

It doesn't seem like two minutes ago since I was fighting my way through the crowds in Tesco trying to get the last few bits for my Christmas dinner, and now we've eaten, drank and danced our way into the new year. Where the hell did 2015 go?

I enjoyed the three night stay at the Palm Court in Scarborough and the New Years Eve party was one of the best yet, but I always look forward to New Years Day evening best, a time to reflect on what happened last year, and what I hope will happen this year. It was during a quiet drink after dinner I began a conversation with a chap sat beside me; Turns out he was a runner, seventy one years old and he ran every day, it was like I'd known him all my life. Managed to exchange e-mail addresses, possibilities there.

I managed to keep the lights on in 'Bob's Bits' over the New Year but I didn't get any comments so I suppose everyone was either enjoying the festivities with their families, or caught up in the discussion about rules. (or just bored to death) Sometimes it can be a lonely place - Tumbleweed blows across the page... There are a few people on this forum who are outspoken and make waves (you know who you are) but you know what? I seek out their posts and comments and I even agree with them sometimes. I would hate to see them go or be stifled by too many rules. I didn't have time to surf the forum while I was away and It's taken me a while to catch up with all the gossip.

Anyway, I bunged on my running shoes and pulled on some shorts and went off for a run this morning. Half way round I bumped into an old running friend and he was walking (a prolific runner in his day, far faster than me, he even won stuff, unlike me) He's sixty now and as I approached him he looked fuller in face and far too healthy to be still running, and he dropped a bombshell; he was recovering from a Heart Attack. I was gobsmacked, he was the fittest guy I knew, he never smoked or drinked much and Heart trouble had not been in his family. What is going on when most older runners I meet have got Heart trouble or had a Heart Attack. I wished him luck and continued on my run, ten years ago he would have run me ragged, and I realised how lucky I was still being able to get out for a run.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-01-2016, 01:26 PM

No way to avoid the rain this morning, I even left it until eight before I splashed off down the road. The only good thing I can say about the weather is 'It isn't cold' so it just required tee shirt and shorts with a light waterproof top, legs are waterproof anyway.

I had thought that after the 21st of December it would start to become lighter in the mornings, but if anything, it's getting darker. After the last few days of rain I thought it best not to venture down the lane so I've been sticking to the road, unfortunately my shortest road course is six miles and the lane is only five, it's a mile further than I wanted really and this morning was beginning to tell. The legs were getting tired by the time I got home and I probably went a bit too fast. A good time though.

The puddles almost met in the middle of the road and it can get a bit dangerous when somethings coming and I'm in the middle of the road, in the dark! Fortunately it's a quiet country road and the only traffic is just a few four by fours taking the kids to school. I had to walk when I was at school, rain or shine. Perhaps that's why I'm like Bear Grylls now Eh......Not on your Nellie!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Just had the most fantastic eight mile run.
I seem to have lost my way a bit just lately (sorry about the pun) I have been huffing and puffing round three and six mile runs wondering where my speed has disappeared to. But this morning I set out at a very steady pace and realised that it was going to be a longer run than usual. It was so warm 13*C and the gloves were soon stashed away in the pocket of a running top I could have well done without. It was a no brainer as I arrived at the road junction that would turn my six mile run into an eight mile run. I could have run forever this morning and it reminded me of something that I have recently forgot......Optimum Pace Running.....Imagine a bank account. A sprinter would withdraw a lump sum, but the long distance runner would only make small withdrawals over a long period. Result: No injuries, long distances covered, and such a satisfying feeling without being wiped out when you arrive home....
My porridge with honey even tasted brilliant......now it's Shower time...
Let Sunday begin....
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 11:26 PM

did I tell you about the time I could have run forever? I probably did on thread 4??

I used to jog daily around the back streets of nowhere land but this one morning something snapped in my brain - chemicals obviously but I was so saddened as I had to cut it short for work - that morning I felt supercharged and could have run for ever - no aching legs - breathing fine - mind exploding - could have done a marathon!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-01-2016, 11:22 AM

Yes, I know what you are saying Gummy, only another runner would know what it feels like when you are in 'the zone' and I sometimes get so excited I can't wait to boot up my computer and get my thoughts down in print.

The truth of the matter is; barring holidays every day starts off the same, you are faced with a blank sheet of life, the world is your Oyster, but by lunchtime you realise that it is just turning into another yesterday. Happy days....

Page 39 of 190 « First < 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top