Join for free
Page 79 of 190 « First < 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 179 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 04:44 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Hi

I hope you are not offended Bob by me muscling in on your blog, I just find it inspirational as to what we can do.

I have not been able to run since my leg was smashed in 1989.

I spent many years on crutches and then sticks, so easy to give up.

I was doing well until my issues , and so easy to give up.

As a result of your blog I am now walking again.

I have a combined step counter and heart rate monitor, it warns me when I am doing too much.

It is so good to get out again, fresh air, see the wildlife, listen to the birds.

I have been out twice today, according to the machine I have walked 2800 steps, a fantastic improvement on where I was just weeks ago.

I am very tired, needed a sleep, but feeling so much better.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 10:39 PM

It's good to see you here Swim, and you are very welcome to contribute whenever you wish, in fact I positively encourage it. You have got the positive mental attitude needed to overcome the temptation of the armchair and the dreaded 'Boxed Set'......
It's good to see you making progress Swim, and I'm glad Bob's Bits has been of help.
Keep up the good work and keep me posted of future developments.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Tuesday's run is full of joy......

Well it wasn't actually, it was full of pain and hardship. After upping my mileage on Sunday to 9.5 I don't think my legs had recovered sufficiently in time for today's six. Maddie the cat almost knocked me over in her rush to enter a nice warm house as I opened the door and stuck my nose outside. The icey wind almost took my breath away, and I made the bad decision to wear thermal top hat and gloves, still wearing shorts though, managed to get through the whole winter in them this year.

So after only two miles I was huffing and puffing along with concrete legs, it was a good job the wind was behind me pushing me along. The thermal top and gloves were making me sweat and feel uncomfortable, but that's not half as uncomfortable as I felt coming back. With a strong wind in my face, and a small rise for half a mile I was almost running on the spot a couple of times, when you set off running with the wind behind you, beware, It's going to be against you coming home and I had all on not to stop.

I'm sat here now supping tea and catching up with all the gossip on here and am feeling so calm........Knackered..........But calm.....And the time wasn't too bad after all
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Tuesday's run is full of joy......

Well it wasn't actually, it was full of pain and hardship. After upping my mileage on Sunday to 9.5 I don't think my legs had recovered sufficiently in time for today's six. Maddie the cat almost knocked me over in her rush to enter a nice warm house as I opened the door and stuck my nose outside. The icey wind almost took my breath away, and I made the bad decision to wear thermal top hat and gloves, still wearing shorts though, managed to get through the whole winter in them this year.

So after only two miles I was huffing and puffing along with concrete legs, it was a good job the wind was behind me pushing me along. The thermal top and gloves were making me sweat and feel uncomfortable, but that's not half as uncomfortable as I felt coming back. With a strong wind in my face, and a small rise for half a mile I was almost running on the spot a couple of times, when you set off running with the wind behind you, beware, It's going to be against you coming home and I had all on not to stop.

I'm sat here now supping tea and catching up with all the gossip on here and am feeling so calm........Knackered..........But calm.....And the time wasn't too bad after all
That will teach you for trying to get me running over the moors!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:24 PM

Steady on a bit Bob the wind was cruel this morning...
Save yourself for the warmer days
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 01:57 PM

I agree with Meg, Foxy. You haven't got to try and beat the world record every day, be a little kinder to yourself this weather.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-03-2017, 06:21 PM

Thanks Meg, Mups and Twink, It's a longer one on Thursday so I will go a bit easier......It's taken me until 4:00pm to recover from this mornings run and then I went out to mow the lawn while it's dry....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-03-2017, 11:08 PM

Went for a walk today, this is how it went....

SPURN HEAD
Friday 24th March 2017

Spurn Head is a finger of land that juts out into the North Sea at the mouth of the river Humber. It has long since been a Coastguard Station complete with lighthouse and river pilots that guide shipping into the ports of Hull, Grimsby and further down the mighty river Humber to Goole. It is also a Wildlife Sanctuary and very interesting place to visit. I have been many times in the past, and have seen many changes but I wasn’t prepared for the change I encountered today.

Leaving Hull on the A1033 the roads become noticeably quieter, Unless you actually live out in the wilds of Holderness there are only two reasons for taking this road. One is to visit Withernsea and the other is to visit Spurn Head. Once you pass by the turn off for Hedon you start to notice the strange place names of the villages you pass through, names like; Thorngumbald, Weeton and Skeffling until eventually you arrive at Kilnsea.

Kilnsea is more of a caravan and mobile home park with a cafe’ Toilet and ramp down to the beach, it’s also a good place to park the car and start the walk. A few years back you could drive the three miles or so along the narrow sand covered road all the way to the coastguard station and cafe’ You could obtain a mean sausage sandwich and hot mug of Yorkshire tea there, handy when there was a stiff easterly breeze blowing off the sea. But the last time I visited, Kilnsea was as far as you could go in your motor after the road got damaged by the winter storms.

I assumed the road would have been fixed by now as there is still a small community right at the end of the point. There is an unmanned lighthouse, half a dozen semis that probably housed the families of the coastguard and the pilots, and a large fully operational coastguard station. The sun was warm and it hung in a cloudless sky but the nagging breeze prevented me from getting too warm, in fact, I had to keep a brisk pace going to keep warm. After twenty minutes of walking suddenly the road ran out.....

I couldn’t believe my eyes, the next three quarters of a mile was little more than a sandy boulder strewn bank. The tide was coming in and it was splashing over what remained of the road. Large upturned lumps of concrete had been claimed by the sea and were being dragged ever deeper into the foaming brine. There were tyre tracks, but they looked like the tracks left by a large amphibious vehicle. I followed them until they found the beginning of what was left of the original road.

The last two miles were just how I remembered it, the road was still intact and my pace quickened. There was distinct lack of people though, previously there would always be lots of bird watchers rambling around with their binoculars and long lens cameras, but I was lucky if I saw half a dozen all day. I think the long walk from Kilnsea had beaten most of them. I passed the lighthouse and arrived at the coastguard station, and the row of houses lay empty and unloved.

I made my way down on to the beach and watched the ships come sailing past while I ate my ham sandwich and washed it down with some bottled water. I felt like Otis Reading [ Dock of the Bay] There were signs posted on every available surface saying ‘do not get stranded by the high tides’ so I packed up my rucksack and raced the incoming tide along the beach. Walking was easier on the hard wet bit close to the waters edge, but the further I travelled it was getting harder not to stray on to the dry bits and my feet would sink in to the soft sand and make even standing up difficult. In the end I conceded defeat and scampered back up to the road. At 14 metres it wasn’t a very ‘High’ tide today so I was in no danger of getting cut off and made it safely back to the car. I did notice though after reading the tide times and heights that 25 metres is expected next week. I wouldn’t want to be here when that occurs.... I wonder how they know......
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 11:40 PM

An interesting read Foxy, I'd thought I'd like to go to Spurn Head but it's no good for me if you can't get near with the car, I struggle to walk any distance these days. Sounds like you had a good day anyway!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 11:46 PM

from me too

I'm in Bournemouth for the weekend ... doing the Lulworth Cove/Durdle Door bit of the SW Coastal Path tomorrow and on Sunday Old Harry Rocks to Swanage ... not long walks but spectacular scenery. If it's good enough for Julia Bradbury it's good enough for me ... but I won't be wearing lycra

Page 79 of 190 « First < 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 179 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top