Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 10:17 AM

Flies grrrr!!

Do any of you have tips on keeping flies out of the home? Where i live in Norfolk there are many sheep and pigs im pretty sure this is the cause of the problem but living in such a great part of the country one has to put up with it. Maybe our Australian members have some tips as i believe they are plagued by flies. I do use the plastic strips on the doors but they are useless i do not like using fly sprays.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 10:24 AM

Re: Flies grrrr!!

Oh I hate flies too . I'm told there is a zapper you can buy with a battery in , it kills them instantly , must look for one .
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 10:28 AM

Forgot to add i do have an electric fly killer which does help but i think the flies are getting smart and stay away from it☺
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 11:55 AM

All I can think of is using essential oils Doc. Burn a few drops of Citronella or Lavender in a little oil burner with a tea light in it and some water in the top.
If it doesn't do the trick, at least it'll make your house smell wonderful.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 12:08 PM

The spiders have now started to come indoors, that should ease the fly problem a bit.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Keep all downstairs windows and doors firmly closed during the late Spring and Summer months and never leave food out uncovered in the open....simples !
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

14-09-2015, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't dream of leaving food uncovered YUK!!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 12:56 PM

I've heard peppermint oil or a mint plant does the trick - near to the windows of course
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 01:15 PM

I will try a mint plant Patsy thanks for the tip.... I get quite a few flies here indoors too..tried those tacky gluey strips but couldnt get on with them..
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 01:33 PM

Maybe it is a bit different from my house where the flies hibernate and breed up in the loft. On the rare occasions when I open the loft door, I find quite a few up there. The flies migrate downwards into the house. Not vast numbers, but enough to curse at.

My solution has been to liberally spray up in the loft around autumn time, and close the door. (Make sure you don't inhale too much of it yourself). Sticky paper, I find, is quite disgusting.

Now will somebody please tell me how to kill the damned spiders in my workshop/garage. I have quite a few varieties living quite happily there, and they seem to be immune to normal sprays. I especially would like to get rid of those spiders that make sticky elastic webs. Horrible things!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top