Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 08:19 PM

Started the Autumn clearout

Well yesterday and today I have started ripping out all the summer bedding and cutting the roses down halfway to stop wind rock It looks a right mess at the moment but it pays off as it is less to do in the spring...I am not one of these gardeners who are out in bad weather my Dad is fanatical about his garden and works on it all year round ...Once I have cleared the beds and hopefully given it a last mow that is it till about the middle of march for me...If I can get some manure down I will do that's all...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 08:30 PM

Re: Started the Autumn clearout

We are just about tidied up for Winter now as well. Everything is packed away, plants trimmed down and some moved about to a better pace. The leaves have started to fall, but the big job of cleaning them up is still to come. One thing I have noticed is that every year all the neighbbour's leaves from their trees seem to end up on our garden.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 09:41 PM

I know what you mean we are on the end of the estate and there is a large green which is flanked by trees and somehow they too end up in our garden(the leaves) but they are really nice (the trees) so I won't hold it against them....Sue
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 09:44 PM

I used to love doing yard work. ClaireMarie just bought lots of crocus bulbs and some alium... might give her a hand putting them in. So pretty to see crocus flowers peeping through the snow in spring.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 12:32 PM

I did my tidying some weeks ago in case the weather turned nasty or I didn't feel well later.
Two car loads went to the tip and a bit into the compost. It is always a relief to me when it is done
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 06:00 PM

I'm still doing my autumn tidy. My roses are still blooming, so are the dahlias. All got buds on them too. I have cleared a lot of bedding that had gone over but the rudbeckia looks gorgeous..can't possibly cut that down!
Mind you, I think our weather is warmer here, so fingers crossed, we will have a few more weeks yet.
suey
Shropshire

18-10-2012, 08:15 PM

Janela we too had loads of buds still to come on the roses but the frosts last week made us think the weather was on the turn so I decided to cut down the growth and lo and behold what does it do it goes mild again they are even saying we might get a bit of an Indian summer next week you can't bloomin win this year can you Sue
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 08:37 PM

Sue, funny you should say about an Indian summer..my old neighbours son-in-law said that a couple of weeks ago. The middle of October, he said.
We haven't had any frost here (famous last words ) but I took up the geraniums, and did lots of cuttings anyway.
My clematis arrived they are lovely plants. Three sizes, one growing to 20ft, one 15ft and the other 8ft.
roll on spring
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Janela your clematis sounds lovely

You aren't covering up the new shed are you
suey
Shropshire

22-10-2012, 07:54 PM

I love Clematis we only have 1 now Julia Correvon but we used to have 6 before we redesigned the garden I wouldn't mind getting some more but would like the smaller varieties now ..We had a Dr Ruppell and it was crazy but it flowered brilliantly and we used to get so many comments on it I really miss that plant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top