Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2012, 08:58 PM

Re: Dogs going into extinction.

Roxy your dogs are beautiful. They look so well cared for,...

It is sad to see some breeds in danger of extinction, I know Dandie Dinmonts were in this category too...
LovelyMeerkat
Lancashire
LovelyMeerkat is female  LovelyMeerkat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2012, 09:25 PM

Gorgeous dogs.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2012, 10:05 PM

Lovely dogs who look so happy with their lot thanks for showing them here.... Sue
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Roxy, Thank you for showing us photos of your OES. My brother used to breed them. I had a disagreement with him yesterday as we were talking about them and I said they were extinct and he said they're endangered not extinct. I thought endangered meant they were in threat of being killed. I was really confused.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 01:45 PM

nobody wants the actual breed of dog anymore so breeders will stop breeding them for sale. They're not all dead and probably never will be but no longer fashionable.
Pink Lady
New Member!
Perth Australia
Pink Lady is female 

01-12-2012, 09:37 AM

Used to see a lot of Basset Hounds around , but havent seen any for ages . We had one about 40 years ago , they suffer badly with back problems if they get overweight. We now have a Cavalier King Charles , they are beautiful dogs , but I would think twice before getting another one as due to over and inter breeding they now have quite a few health issues .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pink Lady ->
Used to see a lot of Basset Hounds around , but havent seen any for ages . We had one about 40 years ago , they suffer badly with back problems if they get overweight. We now have a Cavalier King Charles , they are beautiful dogs , but I would think twice before getting another one as due to over and inter breeding they now have quite a few health issues .
One of my daughters has two Bassets and they are great characters but do suffer from several health problems, as you say mainly from poor breeding I suspect. They aren't long lived dogs either, if they make eight or nine years that will be a long life for a basset I'm told. Although I've never had a King Charles, they do look smashing little dogs and I have to agree that some of these breeders certainly have a lot to answer for....
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2012, 11:48 AM

there's a Basset near us he's lovely, I like King Charles they always look as though they're laughing anf tails wagging
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Beautiful photos Roxy, the dogs are gorgeous. There is an OES living quite near to us, she is lovely, her owner has always had the same breed, wouldn't have anything else he tells us. We also see quite a few Dandy Dimonts around here, they seem to be very popular with the German community. We actually saw a police dog demonstration here, which was very impressive, the usual GSDs, a Pitbull with a lady police handler which was trained to jump from a moving vehicle to apprehend a running suspect and two Basset Hounds which were in the process of being trained as cadaver dogs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top