Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2012, 10:40 PM

Re: THings my parents never told me

You poor abused children, I am glad that my parents didn't lie to me. They told me that if I didn't eat my greens my hair would fall out and it has.

(A small price to pay for not having to eat those disgusting vegetables for over 60 years)
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Well, I s'pose it is a bit negative ,yon Philip Larkins poem. But it strikes a chord, just as Jenny Joseph of Red hat & purple fame.
"When I'm an old woman I shall wear a red hat & purple which doesnt go & doesnt suit me" (and learn to spit)

I wonder if she was a good mother. One of my favourite poems is "Not waving but drowning" by Stevie Smith.
She would have been a good mother Robert - and sometimes it's OK to be a bit far out - just keep a lifebelt handy in case your mother never taught you to swim.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2012, 11:00 PM

My mother never told me about the birds and bees I learned a little from school one lesson was on VD it was a cine film and it went like this 3 girls walking along a road they were picked up by 3 boys in a car and they all went to the cinema watched a film and then went home and the girls got VD so I thought for quite some time after that you got VD from going to the cinema with boys.. I married at 17 after going out with my then husband for 3 months engaged for 3 months and then married we were married for nearly 9 years but grew up and grew apart...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2012, 01:11 AM

I don't think most parents told their kids about the facts of life, it was far too embarrassing for them and the kids, I'm glad mine didn't put me through that, most of them only knew the bare (sorry) facts themselves anyway, none of the fancy stuff they do in bed these days, Christ you'd want to be an acrobat to get up to some of the things they do.
Anyone who caught a social disease, usually from a public toilet seat, sneaked over to the 'Special' hospital over on the posh South side, convenient hours prevailed there for people who could not miss work.
My Father had TB and was in and out of hospitals for ten years so we never saw much of him, all the don't do this and that was left to my Mother and she usually told you the truth, but only once, if you did the opposite it was at your own peril, you learn quicker that way. I remember the big old tree in granny's back garden, she warned us never to climb it as the branches were weak, I did and came down clutching the broken branch and breaking my leg in the process.
There is no guide or books to bringing up children, if you want to waste your time you can buy one, that's a parents choice, but raising kids is the most natural thing in the World and most of us get it right when we just follow our instincts and get on with it.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2012, 09:35 AM

[[none of the fancy stuff they do in bed these days, Christ you'd want to be an acrobat to get up to some of the things they do.]]

Jemflux might one ask how you know about the fancy stuff they do these days??
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2012, 12:50 PM

My parents had a great sense of right and wrong - they were always right and I was always wrong. They were totally inflexible about what went on at home.

Their real trouble was that they didn't know how to listen to another's point of view or construct a reasoned argument - it was always 'my way or no way'. My mother especially had the view that anything I did, right or wrong, it would reflect on her. It was always "If YOU do X,Y or Z, what would people think of ME".

So, I had a generally unconstructive relationship with my parents and was glad to strike out on my own. I still carry a lot of bitterness and resentment with me.

Things they never told me ... well, for one they never said 'You've done well for yourself and your family'. I don't know if they ever said it to anyone else, but they never said it to me.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
[[none of the fancy stuff they do in bed these days, Christ you'd want to be an acrobat to get up to some of the things they do.]]

Jemflux might one ask how you know about the fancy stuff they do these days??
I just knew someone was going to ask me that Hazel. I was as pure as the driven snow until I started watching Doctor Ruth on the TV with her sex education show (remember her?), the things she revealed about what couples get up to astonished me, the positions she outlined amazed me. Come to think of it, how come an ugly old hag like her knew?, it couldn't be from experience, could it?.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2012, 03:16 PM

My Parents told me everything about nowt, it was always, you'll learn when your older.

My Dad did ask me if I knew about the 'Birds and the Bees' to which I replied, Bees make honey and Birds eat it.
Not that sort of Birds and Bees he said, my reply was Oh! yes a little, his reply was, Then be careful.

Mind you his friends did teach me an awful lot about money and how to take care of it.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I just knew someone was going to ask me that Hazel. I was as pure as the driven snow until I started watching Doctor Ruth on the TV with her sex education show (remember her?), the things she revealed about what couples get up to astonished me, the positions she outlined amazed me. Come to think of it, how come an ugly old hag like her knew?, it couldn't be from experience, could it?.
Who's Doctor Ruth Jemflux never heard of her??.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by hazel ->
Who's Doctor Ruth Jemflux never heard of her??.
Doctor Ruth Westheimer (84) is a German American Sex Therapist. she had a TV show in the 1990's, it was shown on a lot of TV stations around the World, one could write in and ask her anything about sex and she would be able to answer it, she has a website if you got a question, dr ruth.com.

By the way, that's not me she's describing with her fingers.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top